1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy DVDs to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Browny1, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Browny1

Browny1 Thread Starter

I would like to put all my DVD films, which takes up a lot of space, onto
    an external hard drive so I can play them on my TV
    I am told I need a NAS drive, Media Player, Power Line Adaptor, and
    some Software to rip the movies.
    I assume that, since I already own the original DVDs, I am not doing anything illegal.
    So any advice on Hardware, Software and instructions on how to achieve the above
    would be appreciated.
    Although I am not a computer dunce, I am also not an expert, so please do not
    get too technical with me.

Regards

Peter

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The legality of this is questionable, so I'm not going to help with a specific solution. But it sounds like you're getting a lot of opinions on this without starting with some basic information.

The first question would be how do you plan to get the files to play on the TV? Does the TV have network connectivity built in? Does it have apps? Or the ability to connect to a media server? Or does it have a USB port? If so, does it support specific file types?

If all of these questions sounds like Greek, then you're probably thinking there's some magical way files can be played on a TV, and there's not. You would need to make some decisions about the hardware and software you want to setup and purchase.

3. Browny1

Browny1 Thread Starter

My understanding was that I needed a "Software" to rip the DVDs onto a NAS drive. Attach the NAS drive to a media player and then via an HDMI cable to my wall mounted TV. Or am I being too simplistic. I know what I would like - my problem is - How do I achieve it ?

4. valis

valis Moderator

We cannot assist in ripping DVD's; may want to read the rules page.

As a result, I'm going to have to close this one up. Thanks for understanding,

v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice