1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy Excel Workbook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ABentsionov, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ABentsionov

ABentsionov Thread Starter

Hi,

I am working on an Excel 2002 report. I need to be able to create a copy of the workbook, strip it down a bit (for uploading purposes), and let the user save it as he/she pleases.

Is it possible to make an active copy of a workbook without saving it?
    Excel VBA help is not being very "helpful" on this matter.

Thank you,
    ABentsionov

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello, welcome to the board!

It is always best if you work from a saved file. This is just generally a good idea. Is there a reason you do not want to save the workbook? You need to save to do what you want. There is a way, but it is more convuluted than just saving your file. :)

3. ABentsionov

ABentsionov Thread Starter

Thank you.

The requirements specify that the report users will choose for themselves where they want to save it locally.

Found a way using a feature of Excel I forgot - macro recording. Workbooks.Add doesn't create a copy, but it creates a new blank unsaved workbook. Then I can just Copy & Paste.

Should have thought of that before starting this post.

Thanks,
    ABentsionov

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Yes, and that was basically the method I was talking about, although recorded macro code is highly inefficient. While I do not understand what it is you are working with, I still recommend fully qualifying what it is you want to do. There may be a more efficient way. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice