1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy files from corrupted laptop harddrive?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by melonhead, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I'm not sure which forum to put this in - so I apologize if wrong.

I have a laptop that I'm running Vista Home Premium 32. I installed SP1 (believe me that is malware)

Now I can't get into Windows. When I try to repair, it just stalls.

I can't even get it to boot from the Vista CD.

I did a hard drive diagnostics tests in the bio and it said the hard drive was okay. And when I try to get into safe mode, it runs thru the files, but then stalls.

With desktops I have piggy backed the hard drives to copy. Is there a way to do that with laptop hard drives?

I have also tried the boot from network, and it recognizes the network but says there is no boot filename received. Is there something I can do from that?

Also, I am trying to boot from a USB with recovery files. When I go into the bios there are three USB options. USB harddrive , USB with key and USB (as I recall these are the three options) I put these as the first three options, tried to reboot, but it didn't recognize the "disk" (The usb was in.)

any suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

USB is not bootable unless the boot files and boot image exist on the drive. You can make it bootable with the HP Drive Key Boot Utility.

There are adapters for connecting laptop drives to desktops.

Another recovery option is the bootable UBCD4Win CD.

To boot from the network, there needs to exist a bootable XP installation to boot from, usually set up on a network drive (NAS).

3. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

When I tried to boot from the ISB, the files I have on that are UBCD4win cd and put it on a usb but it doesn't recognize when I try. It calls the drive invalid or something. Will the hp drive key boot utility make that usb bootable?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, make the drive bootable before loading any files onto it.

If you want to boot UBCD4Win from it, there is information about that here:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=9734

But it's a lot easier just to make the CD. Then you can copy files to the blank USB drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice