1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy formatting in MS WORD

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lazarus235, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazarus235

lazarus235 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a .txt file that I'm trying to format into a form that copies an existing document. The existing document arranges the information in a way that I'm trying to emulate, and want to know if there is a way to "copy" the setting of an existing document and apply it to a new set of information.

Here is the .rtf file I'm trying to emulate,
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/cq7mo7

and here is an example of the data I'm trying to convert
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ge9is
    I've also attached this file to this post, It wouldn't let me post a .rtf file, so I used sendspace.

Does this make sense? I'm thinking this should be easy to do, and also, if it helps, I have the entire suite of office programs if need be. I have Office 2003 and am using XP.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!

Attached Files:

2. Aj_old

Aj_old

Import data from txt to excel or even better to Access, and then to form an report that will look just like U wanna!

3. Aj_old

Aj_old

Take a look at the excel I posted, i think it will help , I imported data from txt, field being divided by commas, and I'll get this!

Attached Files:

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

While AJ's method has merit (especially his suggestion about Access) I wonder what you are wanting to do with the data as it is laid out in the rtf file? Mailing labels? It really isn't much use, from a data management point of view, in that layout - AJ's Excel layout could be used for mail merges of labels (which could look just like your rtf file) or mass mailings. Importing it into Access, however, would allow even more ability to manipulate it, such as finding only those with a certain kind of card who had been married for a certain number of years.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I agree with Slurpee. We need to understand how the data is ultimately being used. If you insist on maintaining the same format as the original RTF file we can write a macro in Excel that will import the orginal text file using commas as a delimiter and then read each record line by line and write to a MS Word file which will be saved as RTF later. Understanding how you are using the final data will help us provide better solutions.

Regards,
    Rollin

6. lazarus235

Hello all, thanks for the answers!

These are leads that are printed out and given to sales reps to contact. They are given to the salespeople 6 to a sheet as shown. The leads are coming from a different source now in different format, so I'm trying to replicate the formatting they are used to. Is this a mail merge? If so, I have absolutely no experience with it; how would I do it so it looks like the form I've attached?

Again, thanks SO much for the help!

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Heavens, it would be very easy for a mailmerge. All you would do would be set the data up in Excel or Access, then open up Word, go to the mailmerge and it will pretty much walk you through it - just set the merge fields how you want them to look once, and it will be replicated throughout the document.

8. lazarus235

Ok great! My (obviously novice) question is, what is the best way to set it up in excel?

9. prime1

prime1

Thanks for all who had demonstrated.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

Save the text file somewhere you can locate it. Open up Excel. When the wizard opens up, choose Delimited, then click okay. Next choose comma. This will cause Excel to break the data into the following columns (I have identified them - I assume that your data will always be in this format with this information)
    First name Last name Address City ST ZIP Phone1 Phone2 spouse DOB email income? blank blank data entry time?
    Insert a row above the top row of data and type in headers like those above and save the file as an Excel spreadsheet. When you do a mailmerge, Word will take the headers and use them to indicate where the merged fields will appear in your document.
    If you try this, I think you will be surprised at how easy it is.

11. lazarus235

GOT IT!

Thanks to all that responded. this was driving me crazy and now my customers will be so much happier.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

12. slurpee55

slurpee55

Glad it is working. Please use the thread tools at the top of the page to mark this thread as solved. :)

13. lazarus235

Thanks again SO much for all your help. I'm running into another problem. A few of the phone numbers are showing up in the following format:

###### ######

I've tried changing formatting options in both Word and Excel (i.e. widening the columns), but nothing's working. Does anyone here know what to do?

THANK YOU!!!

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

In Word, try highlighting the ##### and change the font size down, just to see if that will help. What do you see in those fields when you aren't seeing the data - that is, with the View Merged Data button unclicked?

15. lazarus235

Thanks for your suggestion. I did already try reducing the font size (before before and after merging data), but it didn't work.

In case I wasn't clear before, I should mention that most phone numbers aren't affected -- it's only a handful out of the bunch. (I've tried to determine why these particular phone numbers may be affected to no avail.)

To answer your question, what I see in the fields when not seeing data is the following (which seems no different in any special way from the other fields):

«PHONE_1» «PHONE_2»

Thanks again. Your help is amazing! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice