1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy from DVR to computer DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bobbo27, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbo27

bobbo27 Thread Starter

Hi peeps, great forum you got here....

I have just purchased a Motorola DVR DCT6412, and I want to copy the shows I watch on TV from the DVR to my computer, and then burn them to a DVD.I'm sure this can be done but how do i do it?
    thanks for your help...

2. WeepinWillow

WeepinWillow

You will need to have a tv tuner card in order to that.

3. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Theres lots of tuners on the market..

http://tinyurl.com/hgdxa

and as many ppl telllling you which one they think is best :rolleyes:

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

According to Motorola web site, the DCT6412 can record HD programming. This could limit your choices of a simple "tuner" card in your PC to capture the analog output from recorded HD programs. The DCT6412 is listed also as having USB ports, a 10/100 Base-T Ethernet Port and a 1394 (firewire) port. Do you have any information on the type of support the unit has for getting video files from the Hard drive to these digital data ports?

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp

5. kaaos

kaaos

i have the same box (comcast) and tried hooking up via the USP port. it will see the motrola box but no good drivers for it.

maybe a call to comcast support would help

6. D0C_Hol1d@y

D0C_Hol1d@y

I would if you could buy a whole new video card. ATI makes the best for what you want. They are called ATI All-In_Wonders. They have killer software and extras you don't get from a tv tuner card alone.

7. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

You do NOT need a tuner card for this.. that's redundant.. The whole purpose of a DVR is so you can record shows, the same thing a tuner card does.

there are ways to "Hack" the DVR to download the recorded videos to your harddrive but you'll have to look for it.

The DVR as-is has a firewire hookup you can use to connect to your PC and transfer videos.. but it's restricted to "copy protection" coding.

8. bobbo27

bobbo27 Thread Starter

thanks for the quick responses guys, so the way i understand this, is, i CAN copy videos to my computer's hard drive by connecting the DVR to my computer via firewire cable, and then i can "decode" the video using software, and burn to a DVD?

Bob

9. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

check the manual.. or google it.

it says you can use firewire to transfer videos off the dvr.. what I don't know is if it's automatically detected like a harddrive with mpg or avi files or if you need software from motorola. you could call them.

10. cwwozniak

Found a listing of required drivers and software along with a step-by-step procedure using a firewire (1394) connection:

"DCT6412 Firewire capture and HD/SD to DVD guide"
    http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

11. kaaos

kaaos

i had given up a while back on getting this done! i have a H.S basket ball game that i recoded on my motorola dvdr that i want to xfer tom my PC.

thanks for the guide!

12. rbrager

rbrager

I also have a Motorola DCT6412 III. As far as I have researched there are two ways to
    capture the output of the 6412.

(1) use a splitter on the RF output and use the extra output as input to a tuner card in your PC, or connect the RF to a VCR.

(2) use the firewire connection to download the files. You can find instuctions for this by
    googleing "DCT64xx firewire". The filename for the ZIP file is also a link to the file.

Unfortunately my tower of power is 60 feet from my tuner/DVR so I guess i'm stuck with the RF method.

13. cwwozniak

14. rbrager

rbrager

Sixty feet of Firewire cable probably wouldn't work well. But I have a good solution to the problem. I got a Westinghouse laptop for Christmas. It has a IEEE 1394 Firewire port.
    So I connect my firewire cable to the Motorola and the laptop. Using the capDVHS.exe and the stream drivers, I can record anything that that is sent to the TV. The only downside is that you must watch what you are capturing.

The files are in motorola transport stream format so they need converting. HDTVtoMPEG2.exe does a good job, it even has simple edit function that will allow one to edit out commecials.

15. kaaos

kaaos

ok here is a nifty freeware tool that encodes those .ts or .mt2 HD files to MPEG very quickly and its free: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=HDTVtoMPEG2

i use roxio8 (with fire wire)to capture in HD roxio 8 has 3 different resolution options smallest being 740x420 (or something like that) and the largest being (1024x800) or something like that. it captures in MT2 format. i use that HDTV to MPEG prog to encode the files to mpeg and edit with sony vegas 7 which i just bought.

tied to capture with vegas but it crashes my PC when i use the firewire.

needless to say the picture is crisp clean and outstanding.(y) :).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451111