Copy group addresses from old program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

After many years of using AOL, I recently installed cable and got rid of AOL (hurray!!), so I'm now using OE 5 as my e-mail client. Problem is, I had a lot of e-mail groups in AOL that I'd like to bring over into OE's address book. I know I can't import them (which is puzzling given the fact that Gates hates AOL; I would think he'd want to make it easy to switch to OE), but is there some way I can copy all the e-mail addresses in an AOL group and paste them into an OE group?

One of the nicer things about AOL's groups is that you could do just that. You could (e.g.) create the groups in Word, then copy and paste the entire group into the address book. OE appears only to accept group entries only one by one.

Any ideas?

Not knowing a thing about AOL .. I need to ask if the address files are .wab
If so you can import it .......There are a few other kinds you can import as well.
(I just exported mine to a text file so i have it backedup)

go to OE & File/import... make the selections & see if it works

Good Luck,
Savvy :)

DKTaber

Savvy Lady: The files in AOL's /Organize folder have the extension ".arl". Will OE import those?

The only thing I see you can do is... file your aol addressbook as a text file & then from OE import it. File/import/other addressbooks then locate the text addressbook & let it import it.... Im not sure if it would set it up any better than if you simply mailed yourself the text file.... but at least you would have the addresses.

As you know... AOL is in a league of its own.

:) Hope this helps

Savvy

DKTaber

Originally posted by SavvyLady
The only thing I see you can do is... file your aol addressbook as a text file & then from OE import it. File/import/other addressbooks then locate the text addressbook & let it import it.... Im not sure if it would set it up any better than if you simply mailed yourself the text file.... but at least you would have the addresses.

As you know... AOL is in a league of its own.

:) Hope this helps

Savvy
Right after posting my reply, I thought of the text file approach, too, so copied the addresses from my old AOL address book (about 150 addresses in this one group), pasted them to Notepad (the commas were already there because that's how AOL separates addresses), added the "@aol" to all the addresses where that was missing because they were in the same domain, saved the file, and went through the import agony (checking each address, selecting "E-mail address", clicking OK, and after doing all 150, clicking "Finish". At that point, it said "Import process completed". No error messages, everything seemed to go perfectly.

Only one problem: Not a single address made it into my address book; they're simply not there...in ANY folder. What went wrong?

BTW, I can't send me a message with the addresses in it because I pulled the plug on AOL 10 days ago.

Hey.... thats what I would have done too...

Hmmmm.......
I hope you still have the notepad file ... I think you said you saved it.
When i said mail it to yourself it was .... to get it where you could save it to your files....your MyDocuments or wherever you saved it to..
Now...What I have in mind for you is, to just to cut & paste each address / name to a new contact. You can also save it to a group list like Example: AOL Friends then when you send group mail it will be used to send to all of them in one mailing. As you recieve mail back from these people you can add their address to your address book by clicking on the e-mail & hilighting it ... then right click & on the menu click add Sender to addressbook.
Otherwise...to get them into the addressbook on OE I think you will have to copy & paste each one... time consuming I know...

Maybe someone else here will give some insight to this.

To do that go to addresses... then click on NEW .. then
choose Contact, Group or Folder

Hopefully group mail will help... especially if you tell everyone to respond so you can add them to you "normal addressbook". I know thats what I'd do

Hope you understand this... if not ask again.

:) Savvy

To do that go to addresses... then click on NEW .. then
choose Contact, Group or Folder

Choosing group will set up a one name group mail list as I spoke of above. ( AOL Friends )

also... if you think you saved it but can't remember where... go to your notepad & open it then open files & see if you can locte the addresses in the directory... if not that directory try another .

DKTaber

...What I have in mind for you is to just to cut & paste each address / name to a new contact. You can also save it to a group list like Example: AOL Friends then when you send group mail it will be used to send to all of them in one mailing. As you recieve mail back from these people you can add their address to your address book by clicking on the e-mail & hilighting it ... then right click & on the menu click add Sender to addressbook.
Otherwise...to get them into the addressbook on OE I think you will have to copy & paste each one... time consuming I know...
Cutting & pasting...one by one...is what I was trying to avoid by importing. I don't understand why the import didn't work. The screen appeared where you check each name, then tell it what the item is (e-mail address), click OK, go to the next address, etc. As I said, no errors, and at the end it said import completed. WHY DOESN'T IT WORK is the real question?

BTW, import seems always to say I should use a ".csv" file, but refers to it as "Text". If you open a .csv file, it opens in Excel, not Word or Notepad. I painstaking moved each address into a column of cells, save the file as a .csv file, and tried importing that. Doesn't work from the git-go; the screen to choose what you want to import is BLANK. Only get that initial screen if I try to import a comma separated .txt file...but at the end, it hasn't imported anything.

As for capturing the e-mail addresses on incoming mail, my options are set to do that, but on the only one I received and replied to where I did not have the person in my address book, it did NOT capture the address.

Does OE work? It doesn't appear to capture reply addresses, and won't import when I go through the procedure it prompts me to do (giving no error messages). Should I consider using Eudora or something else?

Hi DK
I was in the process of editing and adding more to what I said above when you posted again...

here is what i said
also... if you think you saved it but can't remember where... go to your notepad & open it then open files & see if you can locte the addresses in the directory... if not that directory try another .
Ok now that seems to be a litlle irrelavent now.

Im not sure whats going on....

Im going to seek help from someone that knows more than I do.

hang tight... this might take a few mins

Savvy

You probably imported to the wrong address book. Once you get the AOL addresses to a text file, its easy to import directly to OE. I would try importing first to an excel file to make sure you get everything the way you want it and then export that to a text file, then imort in OE. Try putting one entry in an excel file, exporting that, then importing to make sure it works.

DKTaber

Originally posted by Mulder
You probably imported to the wrong address book. Once you get the AOL addresses to a text file, its easy to import directly to OE. I would try importing first to an excel file to make sure you get everything the way you want it and then export that to a text file, then imort in OE. Try putting one entry in an excel file, exporting that, then importing to make sure it works.
No, I tried to import to my rover1638 identity address book (which is NOT my main identity). I copied one address into an Excel spreadsheet, and saved it, then Saved as a .txt file, and tried importing it again. The address appears in the window that asks you to check which item you want to import, so I checked it. It then asks what field this is, and I select E-mail address. I then check OK or Import (don't remember which), and it says Import Complete. But no name appears in my address book.

FYI, between the last message I left on this board and your reply, I downloaded IE 6.0, which automatically updated my OE to version 6.0. Made no difference.

This is in HELP from OE

To import address books

You can import address book contacts from other Windows Address Book files (.wab), as well as from Netscape Communicator, Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, or any text (.csv) file.

For Windows Address Book

On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Address Book.
Select the address book or file type you want to import, and then click Open.
For all other address book formats

On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Other Address Book.
Click the address book or file type you want to import, and then click Open.
If your address book is not listed, you can export it to either a text (.csv) file or an LDAP Directory Interchange Format (LDIF) file, and then import it using that file type.

My next question is when you open the OE address book after you have completed importing, ... do you open the shared contacts & Main Identity Contacts?

Clutching at straws here.....

Savvy

DKTaber

This is in HELP from OE

My next question is when you open the OE address book after you have completed importing, ... do you open the shared contacts & Main Identity Contacts?

Clutching at straws here.....

Savvy
I've seen all this from Help. I do what they say, it seems to go OK, but NO RECORDS wind up in my OE (which is now ver. 6.0, which I downloaded this afternoon; has made no difference)

I actually created a separate folder to import these into, and that's what was open when I started the import process. No records came into that folder or any other.

Thanks BrianF,

Just wanna make sure he can get someone to help that knows more than I do about it.

:) Savvy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts