1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copy hard drive contents to a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gig7, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gig7

gig7 Thread Starter

I currently have a pc with two hard drives running under XP Home. The master HD is a 40 gig and my back up is a 14 gig. I will be buying a new pc that comes with a 80 gig HD and XP Home. I want to copy all non os data from the old pc's master to the new pc's HD. I then want to use the old 40 gig as my back up in the new PC. What is the best way to do this. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide me. gig

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hook the drives up to the machine. It doesn't matter how you hook them up so long as the jumpers are set correctly. You don't need any operating system on either drive to do this.

Then, go to this site and download the free cloning software. It has a version for floppy and one for CD. Boot from the floppy or CD and follow the prompts to clone one drive to the other. Remove the drives after copying and put them in their final locations.

http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

There is also free software from the manufacturer. Sometimes they include it with the drive. If not, what brand is the new drive?

3. gig7

gig7 Thread Starter

I'm not sure what manufactor of the new pc's hard drive is but, it's a dell. I'll find out what manufactor it is. My current hd is a maxtor.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Usually the programs they give away will work so long as one of the drives is from them. In other words, the cloning program from Western Digital will only work if one of the drives is WD, and so on. Others only work if the new drive is from them. That's why we need the company in order to find the free software.

But the cloner above works really well. I was just thinking, as always, that we should find the other one, too, just in case that one doesn't work for some reason.

5. gig7

gig7 Thread Starter

Thank you for your prompt response and great advice. Another question, Given the fact that the new dell machine's 80 gig hd is already loaded with win xp home and all kinds of stuff, I just want to move the non os programs and files from the old pc's hd to the dell, will this pci clonemax allow you to selectively choose what you want or is it a one shot clone of one hd to another? So should I re-format the new pc's hd before I use this clone program?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yeh, this is a one-shot, all-or-nothing drive cloning. Byte by Byte.

I honestly don't know if you need to reformat before trying the clone. I've always used it on a clean drive. I would suppose that it would tell you if it needed to remove what was there or wanted you to do it. Let me know what you do since I'm curious about that, too.

If all you want to do is move files to the new machine, you may want to leave the OS there and just copy the files from one machine to the other.

But you can't do that for programs. They would all have to be reinstalled in the new OS since there are no registry entries in the new registry and many files used by those programs that are in other locations around the drive wouldn't get copied if you only copied the Program Files folder. In other words, if you want those programs to work, you better do the complete cloning and then have the registry, all files in Windows and Application Data that are put there by installed programs, etc. It would be very difficult to take it apart piece by piece, if even possible.

When you find out the brand of the new drive, let me know so we will have a backup plan.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

But----the other problem is that the drive contains all the drivers for the old machine. So, once you put that configuration in the new machine, nothing will work and it probably won't boot because it doesn't even have the motherboard drivers for the new machine. This is where you need to take out your XP CD and do a repair installation of what is on the drive so that the new hardware can be detected and the appropriate drivers installed.

8. gig7

gig7 Thread Starter

Elvandil Thanks again for your valuable assistance. Another option would be for me to copy data from one xp pc to another xp pc via usb 2.0. If I go this route what is the proceedure? Is it as simple as contecting a usb cable from one pc to another and dragging over my files?

9. aroominyork

aroominyork

10. gig7

gig7 Thread Starter

Thanks aroominyork. gig

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can find information in Help & Support on "Direct Cable Connection", but again, all your programs will need to be reinstalled if you drag and drop since none will work on the new machine until they are installed. The only way to avoid reinstalling all your programs is to move your entire system from one drive to the other.

This registry cleaner has an option to reset hardware detection so that it will be done all over again on reboot. If you do that before you clone the drive, when you boot the machine on the new drive, it will search for and install the new hardware on that machine automatically. You may not need a repair installation in that case.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

Look under Tools, Reset Hardware Configuration.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice