1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 5DoubleO, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5DoubleO

5DoubleO Thread Starter

Hello All,

Thank you in advance. I currently have a Maxtor 200g hard drive. It contains pictures, wav, mp3, etc.

My question is how do I copy all these files on to a NEW hard drive on someone else's compter? The hard drive has yet to be installed.

I am running Windows XP Pro. The new hard drives will also be installed on pcs with XP OS.

Thank You All for looking!

2. lemondrop

lemondrop

There are a few options here.
    1. Put the old HDD in with the new and transfer the files
    2. If they are on a network you could transfer the files.
    3. If they both have network cards you could buy a crossover cable and transfer the files.
    4. If they both have USB ports you could network them via USB cable and transfer the files.

Easiest (if you are comfortable with hardware) and cheapest would be #1. Assuming your 200GB HDD is your primary HDD you could just use the IDE cable from the optical drive on secondary master (unhook any slave) on your friends computer. This way you don't have to mess around with jumper settings.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/333116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice