1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy Harddisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NavigatorX, Jun 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NavigatorX

NavigatorX Thread Starter

Hello everyone! Just got a little question.

I'm trying to upgrade my harddrive I currently have 4G and i just purchased a new 15G HD. I used the program HDCOPY to migrate my data and OS to the new HD. Then i noticed that my new HD also copied the size of the old one and i believe that i formatted it first and i believe it was 15GB before i copied the old HD.

What do i need to do? Do i have to use another program? Do you know any? or there's just one thing that I need to do to get my original size back?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi NavigatorX
    I have never used hd copy but from this site it looks like there are two different modes of copying. One uses a sector by sector exact disk image (which is what you have done.) The other mode does a logical file copy and leaves the partition table alone. I think this is their

site.http://212.223.28.218/default.htm

I use a program called file copy which I run from windows. I think it came from ontract with an IBM drive. You may also want to consider using a program like partition magic. This will get your partition restored back to it's original size and keep the data as is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/46421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice