1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy harddrive to new harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by irpooky, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irpooky

irpooky Thread Starter

I would like to know if I can copy my whole hard drive to a backup hard drive.
    What I would like to do is buy a new hard drive for my laptop. Then move all and I do mean everything windows XP etc. to the new hard drive. So that I could the start using the new hard drive just like the old hard drive. I think my old hard drive is going bad.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

4. irpooky

irpooky Thread Starter

Yes, I do have a external Hard Drive.
    Wow thanks for that info I will try that one!

5. irpooky

irpooky Thread Starter

Wow!
    I had no idea that this type of software was available thank you so much for the VIP information.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If what you want to do is backup your system, then an image file using acronis is the way to go.

If you want to install another [larger] hd, then you can clone your existing hd. Acronis does this as well.

I have used ghost, drive image, and acronis. By far the best is acronis; it just works no problems at all.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Good - External HDs are life savers.
    The easiest way is to mount the new HD as a second HD and clone your old HD to the new one.
    But - I don’t know if you can connect a second HD in a Laptop. I haven’t torn my LT apart yet.

With Acronis TI and an External HD, you can make an Acronis boot CD then copy your HD image to the external.

Now - you can install the new HD, put in the boot CD and recover from the backup image file in the external HD.

Advantages - you have your old HD as a backup in case something goes wrong.
    You can use the same External to backup more than one computer - space permitting.

One disadvantage - If your Software has a bug, you will copy the bug.

Acronic TI can be downloaded from Newegg at a reduced price in case you like it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681279691SF

8. irpooky

irpooky Thread Starter

I downloaded it last night. After reading your post I now know that I did the right one! You made is so unbelievable easy to understand.
    Oh yes and thanks for the link for a great price on it. Going to buy soon as I finish the post!
    Thank you so very much for such great info.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!