1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copy harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by interstate18, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. interstate18

interstate18 Thread Starter

My old 10 gig hard drive is getting a little full so I bought a 40 gig drive. I would like to make an exact copy of the 10 gig on the 40 gig. So far I've tried the utility provided by the harddrive company (Maxtor) and for some reason it doesn't recognize my file structure on my source disk so can't copy it. I then tried "clonemaxx" and "HDClone 2.0" and they both successfully copied the files and everything but they also copied the partition. So I'm stuck with an almost full partition instead of an almost full harddrive, this doesn't really help me much. I want the to copy the whole thing from the 10 gig partition to a 40 gig partition so I have the extra space. How can I do this?

Thanks.

2. brindle

brindle

You did't say what your OS is. Included with 98/se is a utility called msbackup. I've used it to back up C to D but have not had to use it to recover C.........Might give it a try, let us know how it worked for ya, okay?

3. interstate18

sorry about the lack of info I provided.

I'm using WinXP Pro

4. brindle

brindle

5. interstate18

so basically, I backup my C: drive to my larger HD, format my new drive so it starts from scratch, install windows on it, then restore the backup. Is this correct?

6. Whitestar

Whitestar

No, because if you backup ur files to the 40g drive and then format it, youll lose all of ur files.

If you do what you did with clonemaxx and HDClone 2.0, you can then use Partition Magic to increase the size of the partition up to 40g.

7. interstate18

by "larger HD" I meant a seperate 80 gig drive I use for general storage.

I'll look into partition magic, but I thought it cost $ and I really don't want to spend much money on something I'm only going to use once.

8. Whitestar

Whitestar

"by "larger HD" I meant a seperate 80 gig drive I use for general storage."

ah, i see.
    In that case your plan should work.

9. saikee

saikee

If you use Norton Ghost it will scale everything up when moving from the smaller disk to a larger disk automatically and the target is bootable too. That is the neatest and the quickest way. Everything as before except in a big hard drive.

10. interstate18

A friend of mine had partition magic. I was able to use it. For reference though in case this pops up sometime in the future for you, when I used partition magic to resize the partition I received "error 27: cannot lock drive". I ended up having to uninstall GoBack in order to use partition magic. This is probably the case for any partition software.

thanks for all you help and suggestions, I appreciate it. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice