1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy laptop hard drive to external HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pikespeakbob, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pikespeakbob

pikespeakbob Thread Starter

I wish to copy my laptop HD (all apps., programs etc.) to an external HD then replace the laptop hd with the external HD for upgrade purposes (80gb to 160gb). I'm seeking the best method for doing this. I've tried using the Microsoft feature (ntbackup.exe) but it doesn't seem to work for me. Any help is appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  3. pikespeakbob

:confused:
    I remembered I had Copy Commander that came with my System Suite and I used that to copy my C drive (system drive) to my external USB drive. It seems to have done the job as the drives look the same in Computer Management>Disk Management, I just gave my external drive the letter Z for now. When I swapped out the drives the new Z drive is not recognized in the BIOS and it shows no hard drive. When I swap back to the original C (system drive) it works ok. So, I'm guessing that somewhere in the BIOS there's a setting that will make it recognize the Z drive but not sure if it will be renamed automatically as the new C drive. What am I missing here?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  5. pikespeakbob

I had done that with the result still being unable to find the HD upon boot and in the BIOS.
    I thought that my version of Copy Commander might not have supported USB drives so I upgraded to DiskCopy and Clean 9 which has support for USB but the result is the same, no HD found. My Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop BIOS doesn't seem to have an auto detect option for HD and both the original Hitachi 80gb and the USB Hitachi 160gb don't have jumper options. When I swap back to the original HD it works normally, just can't seem to find the copied HD when it's in the laptop. I know I'm missing something so I've posted a question to Avanquest/VCOM to see if they have an answer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice