1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copy of windows 7 is not genuine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by asc5188, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asc5188

asc5188 Thread Starter

I'm not really that knowledgeable about computers so bear with me. Every time i start my computer a black screen appears and it says your copy of windows 7 is not genuine. I can't do anything on this screen. I tried setting my computer to boot from DVD and re install windows 7 but when i do this is just ignores my windows 7 disc and goes straight to the black screen with your copy of windows 7 is not genuine. I even tried booting from a flash drive and it still wouldn't work. I'm really not sure what to do, this is a custom built computer. Not sure if it matters but i'm using an SSD as well.

specs:
    cpu: i7 950
    mobo: EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA
    ram: 12gb
    gpu: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A genuine Windows 7 installation disc is a DVD. You need to set a DVD drive in the boot sequence before the hard drive or SSD. When the DVD initially boots you get a message to "press a key to boot from the disk" and sometimes you have only a second or two to respond, so be ready for that.

You can try booting to the Windows 7 DVD on another computer to make sure the disk is still OK (don't actually do anything--just make sure it will boot).

Similar story for the USB flash drive--see if it boots on another computer.

3. asc5188

asc5188 Thread Starter

Sorry i typed CD instead of DVD, i have a dvd drive. When i boot from dvd or flash drive on my other computer it works, but when i boot from dvd or flash drive on this computer it doesn't do anything

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Check the boot order in the BIOS in this computer and make sure the DVD drive is listed first.

Are you using an original or copied version of Windows 7?

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. asc5188

asc5188 Thread Starter

Its listed first but same problem. I'm using an original version of windows 7

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm mostly stumped by this. When you try to boot from the DVD is there even the slightest indication of an attempt to read the DVD? If not, maybe the power or data cable to the drive is loose.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you boot from the Windows 7 DVD in the other computer, is the
    Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
    command appearing?

----------------------------------------------------------

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Has this machine ever worked running Windows 7?

How long have you had this system running Windows 7?

How may different machines has this DVD been used on to install the OS?

Where did you get this DVD?

9. asc5188

asc5188 Thread Starter

Terry: The dvd drive spins when i start it, also i've already tried replacing some of the wires

Flavalle: that message doesn't appear

DaveA: Yes i've been using it for half a year. I have two different machines with this OS. I got the dvd from newegg.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it were only the trouble booting the DVD I'd say the optical drive seems to be defective.

But since the USB also won't boot I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the motherboard or the BIOS. However, I have no idea how to test for that or what could be done to fix it.

11. asc5188

asc5188 Thread Starter

I have a warranty on my motherboard, should i replace it?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I gave you my thoughts on what might be wrong, but I certainly do not know enough to advise what to do. There could also be two problems, say a defective optical drive preventing the DVD boot and some USB problem preventing the USB flash drive boot.

If you do replace the motherboard keep all communications and receipts in case you have to prove to Microsoft that you replaced a faulty motherboard and should be allowed to activate your current copy of Windows. (This is not a worry if you have a retail Windows, but could be an issue if you have a OEM/System Builder's version.)

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If you have install the OS from this DVD and use the same key code on more than one machine, then it is not genuine.

14. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512

I've had the same problem, the solution is easy, but I need to know what it says in the bottom right corner of your desktop.

EXAMPLE :

Windows 7 - Build 7601
    or
    Windows 7 - Build 7600

15. ibrahim0512

ibrahim0512

Usually on computers and laptops, if theres a cd or dvd in the drive then it'll run the cd or dvd instead of the hard drive.
    (Atleast on mines it does) But if it doesn't you have to click an F_ button on your computer's manufacturer screen.(ex: F12) (ex: F11) (It'll usually say something like " BOOT MANAGER - F12 " on the bottom of the screen

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice