1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy of Windows is not genuine?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jaded216, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaded216

jaded216 Thread Starter

Hi! I purchased a new HP and it came with a Windows 7 O.S. DVD. I installed it fine and it has been working fine. All of the sudden I started getting error messages and warnings that say things such as "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" and "This copy of Windows is not genuine." It gave me the option to insert the product key for activation and when I entered the key I was given with the disc, it said that product key was invalid for this copy of Windows and I have to run a Windows 7 setup or enter a Windows 7 Professional product key. I am not computer illiterate, but I am pretty darn close! :eek: HELP!???

2. Sponsor

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

HP uses an oem version of windows...most generally the disk isnt needed unless you have an HDD failure....recoveries are done by using the recovery partition,

However if you did reformat and install using the provided disks and are getting errors I would contact hp on the matter,or try installing it again,maybe it has a corrupt file that occurred during the install.
    Also some people have experienced some problems after installing office apps....theses are usually cured by allowing the needed windows updates

4. jaded216

jaded216 Thread Starter

Yes I will contact HP. I had windows xp when I first got it and installed 7 from the disc. It did the automatic updates without any problems until recently. I did download Office 2010 I think it was the BETA version. That may have caused the problem. Thanks for your help I hope I figure this out!

5. Rick_lira

Rick_lira

Hey jaded, what exactly does your Windows 7 disc say? Therer are 2 cds out there, one to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, which cost around $120, and the retail disc which is the one you need since you have XP that cost around $200.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where did the product key come from? You can only install 7 once with a single product key, so if it has already been used on another machine, it can't be used again.

7. jaded216

jaded216 Thread Starter

The disc says: Operating System DVD Windows 7 Professional. Its from HP. I'm not sure where the product key came from because my friend installed it for me. Maybe that's what it is.

8. steppenwolf

steppenwolf

try typing in windows number from the sticker on computer

9. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Please download and run MGADiag.
    • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program
    • Click "Continue"
    • Ensure that the "Windows" tab is selected (it should be by default).
    • Click the "Copy" button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
    • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report back here in your next reply.

Please download and run WVCheck.
    • Double-click WVCheck.exe.
    • As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
    • Once the program is done, copy the contents of the Notepad file as a reply.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The product key came with the DVD, not on the disk but on or in the case, right? Try entering that when you get "... run a Windows 7 setup or enter a Windows 7 Professional product key." If that doesn't work contact HP.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/967223