1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy one hard drive to another.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LilTazNae, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LilTazNae

LilTazNae Thread Starter

I know that its supposed to be simple but here it goes.
    I want to make a mirror image copy of my C drive onto my F drive? What do I need to do?
    Thanks in advance.

2. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

If drive F is physically a separate drive, most vendors supply a drive setup floppy that will do this. You will need to identify the manufacturer of drive F and download a copy from their web site. Otherwise you will need a drive copy program.
    There's lots.
    There's Google.
    There's download.com
    etc.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Here are some free apps to try. PCI CloneMaxx works well if it is a simple drive copy. Make the boot disk and copy the drive. Remove the copy and set it as master before booting into Windows again.

PCI CloneMaxx

Other free ones (XXClone may be the best of these---the free version will do most jobs):

XXClone
    HDClone (free edition only smaller to larger)
    DriveClonerXP

4. Solei

Solei

Hello, LilTazNae.
    When I had to copy one my drive to another new one, I was recommended to use Acronis True Image. Cuaz it has grade tool "Clone Disk": just click on this button and follow the prompts, due to nice intuitive wizard it's very easy.
    Then it'll transfer whole selected disk onto anoter one. It's truly reliable and convenient method.
    By the way, at present I use this software to make a full system backup (in case of crash system or other luckless activities).
    So, now according to my experience I'd like to recommend it too.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree that if you are willing to spend some money, Acronis True Image is the best choice. After the cloning, you can use it to make complete backups of your drive in case the worst happens.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What exactly are you trying to do?

Do you want to use the cloned drive as the master or do you still want both drives in the system?

Are you trying to make a backup of your system in case of a problem?

There are different ways to go about each of these tasks, so post what you are trying to accomplish.

BTW acronis true image is an excellent product both for cloning and making an image backup.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/400505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice