1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy PATA HD files to SATA HD files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Badgood, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Badgood

Badgood Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a 160g SATA HD for my new PC to replace my old 40g EIDE HD. And I was wondering if it's possible to copy my OS(winXP) and files exactly to the SATA HD; I really want to avoid installing my OS.
    It seems impossible or not recommended from what i've read, but maybe it's more safe. If it's not possible, I had some thoughts come up to mind.

Is it possible to make the SATA HD a master and have the old EIDE HD a slave so I can boot up windows from my slave?
    (this is probably a no) can a SATA HD preform a slave under a EIDE Master? This way I can use the EIDE as... a slave.

Now, I don't mind installing XP again, it's just long and I have other programs to re-install, that's why I want to avoid this. I have some important files, but i'm sure I can make my EIDE HD a slave and just copy from there once i've installed windows onto my new HD.

Any help, suggestions, or a clear blunt answer will help.

Thanks in advance, cheers~

2. bigbear

bigbear

You need good third party cloning software to achieve this, I always recommend Acronis True Image. http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    Its not free but you can try before you buy plus it has a lot more features than just cloning
    This will allow you to clone your entire boot drive to the sata drive painlessly.
    Once done just set the new drive as first boot, done.

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello badgood,

Sorry, no blunt answer without knowledge of your motherboard. Alot depends on how your motherboard deals with PATA and SATA. I would recommend disconnecting the PATA, install XP on SATA. Then reconnect the PATA and you should be good to go.

My motherboard will always want to make the PATA drive "master" of all. So if I install XP on my SATA drive with the PATA connected, XP setup will put the boot files on the PATA and Windows on the SATA when it installs, which is kind of annoying. The only other potential issue is how your motherboard is set to deal with SATA. If you can install XP on the SATA, then you are good to go. Otherwise you may have to change a setting in the BIOS. Hope that helps.

4. Badgood

Badgood Thread Starter

Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1870&l1=3&l2=101&l3=345&l4=0

It seems I may be able to have the SATA become a slave, i'm not entirely sure. If this is the case, I'll keep it as a slave anyday!

Edit:
    Well, I have 2 EIDE drives on my pC, one master and one slave.
    All I need to know is...

- Can my SATA drive compute with both EIDE drives? SATA doesn't play the master/Slave game, but it can be recognized and used to store data. So from knowing that, it seems I can have all 3 Drives in my CPU, never having to change anything, just adding more space like I wanted. If this is ok, then Problem solved :)
    I'll keep the cloner in mind though!

5. shinybeast

shinybeast

Try what I suggested unless you want to go for image/copy thing like bigbear pointed out. In BIOS setup under IDE Configuration on the Main menu make sure "nvidia RAID function" is set to disabled and you should be good to go. Just to repeat:

Disconnect PATA(s)
    Connect SATA
    Boot XP CD
    Install XP on SATA
    Reconnect PATA(s)

It should boot the SATA fine. If it doesn't, you'll have to change the Hard Disk priority in BIOS in the Boot section.

6. robebcan

robebcan

If you're still experimenting, here's what I did, after installing my new ASUS P5QL Pro (which has only one IDE port, and 6 SATA ports).

I did a Repair Install using my EIDE master drive, which is paired with a slave EIDE drive on the single IDE port, after setting BIOS to boot from CD, IDE, then SATA in that order. I have a SATA drive installed, with another OS as well (for boot protection from crashes on my IDE drive).

As a result, I didn't need to transfer my XP Pro OS to any other drive......but am curious that the Acronis True Image could actually transfer my OS and programs perfectly to another disk.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Depending on the drive you purchased you can go to the manufacturers website and download the setup software for hard drives. Seagate and Maxtor Drives can both use MaxBlast 5, which will allow you to clone your ide drive to the sata drive. It is free and it is actually a lite version of Acronis Tru Image. It is limited in the Disc Imaging it can do, but cloning your disc with it works.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice