1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy programs and data from p.c. to laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Athena12, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

I'm going to sound really stupid here, but I have ME (six years and counting) and sometimes (often?) am completely 'brain dead' and unable to think logically (or even at all). Today is one of those days...

I want to copy some programs (e.g. AVG internet security) and files/documents from my p.c. to my Acer laptop. I know I should be able to do this with an interface cable, but don't seem to have one with the right end connections.

I guess I should be using one with flat connections either end but I don't have one and can't seem to find anything suitable on the net. Can anyone advise me exactly what I should be looking for - and, as importantly what I should ask/search for?

Just to explain - shall be using my laptop as only source of IT and communication (am also deafened, so use email exclusively) as p.c. is going into storage for 5 weeks due to house move.

Apologies again for appearing such a dunce!

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I don't think you can just move programs by cut & paste like you can with docs & photos - you need to do a fresh install. This site will help you with some more widely used progs.

http://ninite.com/

Sorry I can't help with the cable question.

Richard

3. Athena12

Athena12 Thread Starter

Thanks for that piece of info Richard. I was hoping to pick up the AVG software from the pc as the disk I have is a year or two old; never mind, will install that and visit their site for updates.

Am now using a stick to move docs across, but moving Outlook emails is making my eyes water a bit. No doubt it's a good learning curve for me.

Thanks again for your help/advice.

Cheers.
    Catherine

4. stantley

stantley

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!