1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copy Protected DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by moebius, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

I work as a technician in a multimedia lab. we get a lot of customers who want us to burn thier VHS tapes to DVD. but now we have an advertising agency that wants us to burn 5000 DVDs. and they want them copy protected.

will we need a new dvd writer to be able to copy protect DVDs? or new software [we are using nero6 right now]? we want to get a new DVD writer anyway, because the one we have right now is one of the earliest models that came out and is quite slow.

How does one go about copy protecting DVDs? and we need a new dvd writer. any recommendations. we need something fast and reliable.

2. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

Waste of time copy protecting DVD's or CD's for that matter, any encryption can be bypassed now so it would be a waste of money, just put a large statement window on the DVD's telling people its illegal to copy/rent your DVD, thats all you can do. As for the burner........sheesh, you gonna burn 5000 DVD's with a burner? you need a multiple duplicator m8.

EDIT: In fact you need a few duplicators. :D

[​IMG]

3. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

thanks for the info. but copy protecting would put some people off wouldnt it? its a promo DVD for some concert and event management company. explain this multiple duplicator to me, and how much it would cost.

4. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

OK, The picture above shows the controller and the caddy you fill the caddy with DVD burners and controller, you put the original DVD in one of the drives and the rest with blanks, hit the button and the original is copied to the other disc's. Its a stand alone unit that does not need to be connected to a PC. It varies in price depending on how many drives you have........say £300 up-wards.
    Note: This is not a ripping unit, it does not get past any encryptions.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How big is this multimedia lab company you work for? If it only has one single tray old DVD burner, I'd say this job sounds out of your league.

Here's one that will do 9 DVDs at a time, so you'd have to reload it 556 times. It'll burn those 9 DVDs in 7 minutes using 16X media. That's about 65 hours of total burning time. If you work 10-hour days, it'll take you a week, and that's with someone pulling out the disks immediately when they're done and reloading new ones. So every 7 minutes for 10 hours a day, 7 days, someone has to jump up and run over to the duplicator, pull out burned disks, and load blanks.

http://www.octave.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi/act/specs/item/1118867560

6. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

I've had worse jobs. :rolleyes: :p

7. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

so what are your recommendations?

300 pounds isnt much. what if we get five of these units? i wont be changing the discs and all. im a technician. i do editing and management ans stuff.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you a technician or the owner of the lab? They're over $1,400 a piece, and you want to buy 5? How much is this client paying you to burn these DVDs? If it isn't enough to cover the costs, does the company plan to be bringing in equally large orders in the future in order to recoup the investment?

Whether or not the actual job of replacing DVDs is good or bad, it costs money to pay a technician to babysit a duplicator for that amount of time.

This is a business decision as well as a technology decision.

9. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

im a technician. im not going to be telling you how much the client is paying, because i dont know myself. im just a technician. my manager will decide on the purchase. we are keen on getting more such orders. if we pull this one off, the ad agency promises us more orders in larger quantities.

10. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

Well with 5000 to do you will have to find a way......do your math, I burner @10 minutes per disc X 5000. :eek:
    Might be worth your while finding a company with duplicators to do the bulk for you.....thats what I do/did................hey Mobius are you the guy on the GSM forums as well or just a coincidence? :p

11. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

what GSM forums? someone else has already asked me that, and on another forum too

12. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

Obviously not then. :)

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    check here for DVD copy protection information. I think SafeDISC and SecureROM are the main ones

As for your job in hand... If the company is willing to spend the money on a deal that may work or fall thru, then you will need to get some kind of DVD duplicator that can handle the big job. You may even need to go for a professional one, like some kind of jukebox or something.

my 2¢

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice