copy to system?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ROADTOAD

I've got a Compaq Presario 4540 running Windows 98. When I start it I get the message that I'm missing a .dll file, which I've downloaded to a floppy via a different computer. Now how do I get the .dll file loaded into the Compaq? It's probably something obvious but I seem to be stuck.

Thank you in advance.

Well to begin with it is not advisable to download dlls off the web unless you are SURE it is the right version for the particular application.

Instead, post the name of the dll here and this should give us a clue as to what it belongs to and where you should really reinstall it from.

For what it's worth, these dlls will usually need to be copied to c:\windows\system.

ROADTOAD

I've got the right .dll. I finally figured it out. I know where it goes, I just couldn't figure out how to get it there. Now, when I try to copy it to C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM\... I get "cannot copy file. File system error (1026)"

ROADTOAD

Sorry for the delay. I've deleted everything from the temporary internet file, and checked to make sure, and there's nothing there. I still could not get it to download the file. Same error message. For some unknown reason, the previous owner divided the hard drive into volume 1 and 2, but both files are empty. I'll have to get back to you as to how much free space is on the hard drive, the actual computer is at my daughter's house, I'm running back and forth. The total available is 18.9 gig, and there's not much on it right now unless there's something hidden. There's also a drive E on it which is unformatted, I have no idea what it is.

You can try a different browser -- an that would eliminate IE problems. If you have already downloaded the file to a floppy, and are having the problem -- it's possibly corrupt on the floppy.

But it's quite possible the file already exists in a cabinet file on the hard drive -- if you know where to look. But again -- not all files in the cabinet files are the version required by the current application needing it.

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

*if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"

*note: in WinME, cabinet files may be found in the location: c:\windows\options\install

ROADTOAD

I don't have a windows 98 disk. I tried the options\cabs to no avail. While I was at SFC I ran the system check and it said that setupx.dll was corrupted. You asked earlier about the free space on the hard drive. C has 17.7Gb and D has 18.6. In other words, it is unused. Am I at the point where purchasing a restore disc from HP would be a good idea?

The fact that sfc reports setupx.dll corrupted does not necessarily mean it is so. This is one of the common errors of the utility that caused MS to abandon it in WinME.

Many other files can be reported changed or corrupted when in fact they are only updated. Do not rely on the scan feature. Also if this is Win98 First Edition, do NOT use it to replace certain files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q192832/

The restore disk from HP will allow you to restore the system to its original configuration -- unless there is a specific option to allow for the reinstall of the operating system only -- it will erase all data on the drive. I would certainly recommend your having the restore disk if you wish to preserve the system -- but keep in mind is it pretty obsolescent and MS offers only the most limited support for it these days.

You have never told me what the dll is. It might not even be a Windows dll -- and probably isn't if you had the cab files on the drive and couldn't find it.

You just may need to uninstall or reinstall a 3rd party program to fix the error --- or even just remove the registry line that tries to load the program. It may be something you don't need or want.

ROADTOAD

It's SVRAPI.DLL. I did a quick search on it and it seems to be necessary if you're running a network. "A library wich contains functions used to monitor and administer shared network resources." Processname: Microsoft Common Server API Library. However, I'm not running a network, but it connects to resources, so I guess it has to stay. Which brings up another question, I tried to download the .dll and a couple of other things to a CD-RW in case the floppies were the problem, and couldn't do it because I get this message: "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission." Why can I download to floppies but not to CD-RW? It seems contradictory.

I'm not sure svrapi.dll would normally be loaded in a non-networked system -- I'll have to check that -- but here is a zipped copy of the file from my Win98 First Edition files.

Make sure there is no present copy of svrapi.dll in c:\windows\system

Then unzip the file and copy it there. Do you still get an error?

Ok, I just checked and it DOES load both under Explorer and ZoneAlarm (3rd party firewall)

I'm not exactly clear on the CD-RW issue. But it would have to be burned. You could download it to the desktop first and copy it. This would certainly work in XP. Note that files that are "moved", not "copied" in XP inherit the permissions of the folder they were moved from and therefore permissions errors can result from that.

There should be no problem at all in copying it to and from a floppy.

Attachments

ROADTOAD

For some reason my daughter shut the computer off yesterday. When I turned it on and booted up, I got this:
cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

the window registry or SYSTEM.INI files refers to this file device, but the file not longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using it's uninstalling program.

If you still want to use that application associated with that device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

VNETBIOS.VXD
press any key to continue_

I am unsure if all of this refers to the same missing .dll file as I have been trying to replace. When I hit a key the computer continued booting up as normal.
Using the restore disk to fix things shouldn't be a problem as the only things on the drive worth saving are 2 or 3 programs like Microsoft Word, Excell, and I can't remember what else. As long as it'll go on a floppy.

The first thing I'd do is try using the System File Checker to restore vnetbios.vxd to c:\windows\system.

Again you need the Windows CD or Cabinet files to do this.

You can also repair this by reinstalling Client For Microsoft Networks through the Control Panel > Network applet. You may have to remove it before reinstalling it. The CD or cabinet files will be needed for this as well.

Reinstalling Dialup Networking is another method of fixing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=166832

Or, if the computer is running fine and you have no connectivity or networking problems, you could run regedit and delete the reference to the file in the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Vnetbios

The Restore Disk would certainly return you to your original configuration -- so if you are not concerned about losing data there is no reason not to use it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!