1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copy XP from external case to win2000 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smgisland, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smgisland

smgisland Thread Starter

Good Morning All!

I can not copy the files from my external drive (containing the C drive from injured HP desk top) to my IBM win2000 laptop. Is it because of the different Operating Systems? If it is not possible...how can I get a copy of this hard drive to load into my laptop? HP needs the hard drive in the pc when they pick it up for power supply repair.
    The external drive read just fine...just cn not transfer the file.
    Help pleae...I have 3 payrolls to do !!
    Thank yOU!!!!!

2. brite750

brite750

1st what do you mean by files? you wont be able to copy programs
    both OS are NTFS usually

3. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Hey,

What Operating Systems are on each drive? The chances are, one drive is using the FAT32 file system and the other is using NTFS, you will need to convert the older FAT32 partition to NTFS if this is the case.

We need the above information from you though before it's possible to say this is the issue, though if it is then i will guide you the process once it's confirmed.

Regards,
    Nick.

4. smgisland

smgisland Thread Starter

Oh thank you!
    The external drive C is XP home and Laptop is 2000 pro. I was hoping to get everything off of the drive before I return it.
    Can I replace the laptop 2000's c drive with the XP external? That wouls work too.

5. brite750

brite750

not sure what you mean, your psu failed in the HP so you need a copy of the hp hdd? you will need the payroll program to be loaded onto the LT and then just the files from the HP, if you can see the files from the HP on the LT then you should be able to copy them into a folder

6. brite750

brite750

i dont think its a os problem I have 2000 at work and XP at home and can read files from both back and forth no problem, what are you trying to copy?

7. brite750

brite750

an NTFS program ie XP can read a FAT32 but not the other way around, I cant imagine that the LT XP is fat32

8. brite750

brite750

yep I'm still confused how many drives are we talking about
    HP drive C?
    external drive ?
    LT drive C?
    what kind of files?

9. brite750

brite750

ok you say Win2000 LT, then you said XP on an ext hdd? and then theres the "failed HP" thrown in there?

10. smgisland

smgisland Thread Starter

I apologize for not making things clear.

Can I take everything from an external drive that is XP home and either copy it or replace the receiving drive C that runs 2000?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can copy files from the external drive to the primary drive. You cannot replace system files from one to the other, and you'll run into some serious problems if you try to do so especially given that they're different operating systems.

12. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Do you want two copies of a single drive?..

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Both Windows XP and Windows 2000 can read FAT32 drives. Why convert it?

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have never used XP or 2000 in Fat 32 so i wasn't sure if it can read Ntfs in either...wasn't sure if it was 9X or fat32 that caused it not to be read.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/584781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice