1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying a button/spinner in relative mode in Excel.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by coolmule, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolmule

coolmule Thread Starter

In an Excel spreadsheet I have a spinner in cell D4 controlling numbers from 1 to 5; these are located in cell C4. This works fine - no problem.
    However I need about 50 of these spinners in various places in this sheet, and I cannot work out how to copy them to different locations so that each one controls the cell to its left. As it stands, wherever I copy to, the new spinner will still control cell C4.
    Copying means that I only have to size the first spinner, and I felt sure that right-clicking on the spinner, followed by Format Control > Cell link, and removing the $ symbols would allow it to work on the new relative cell, but it doesn't. Whatever I do, it still changes the value in C4.
    I am fast approaching heave-the-computer-out-of-the-window time !

I am using Excel 2003 with XP Pro SP3.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice