1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omega_Shadow, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow Thread Starter

OK, here is what I am facing...

Found an old Acer Pentium1, about 48Mb of ram running Windows95a. Runs very well but way too slow for my taste. I decided to give it to my dad. While loading some software on to it I notice that space is very limited on its current drive. I have a bigger unused hard drive around here and was wondering if there was a way to copy the contents of the current hard drive on to the new one? I got plenty of open IDE's to plug both of them into my primary computer to preform the operation but need pointers/programs and/or advice on how to proceed.

(keep in mind that the design of the Acer's case only allows for one hard drive)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use acronis true image to do this task. It works extremely well. It however is not free. You can use the hd mfgs utility; it has an option to copy disk to disk. This is free and works as well. To download this app, go to the mfg of your hard disk ie Western Digital, Maxtor, etc.

3. Omega_Shadow

They are made by two different mfg's. Does it matter which company I go to to get the utility?

Would Partition Magic 8.0's "Copy Partition" work?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. I am sure if you use the mfg of the target drive it will work fine. As to PM, I am not a fan of PM and do not use it so I do not know if it will work or not. I use acronis true image and have copied / cloned many disks. It has always worked well; even keeping partition letters correct.

5. RogerB

RogerB

Norton Ghost will do what you want. Good at copying drives and excellent for creating anti-disaster backups of your entire C:\ drive.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Copying the drive will be the easy part. Some apps have been mentioned and the free CloneMaxx works very well, too.
    CloneMaxx---->[​IMG]

But you'll need something like VCOM's Partition Commander, Partition Magic, Paragon Partition Manager, or the free Ranish Partition Manager to expand the copied partition to a larger size or to fill all the space on the new drive.

7. Omega_Shadow

ok, sounds easy enough. I have became somewhat of a pro at using Partition Magic to Resize/Move my partitions around. This should be easy....

Knock on wood...

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've used Partition Magic to copy partitions several times, it does the job just fine. If you already have PM, there is no reason to look for another utility IMO.

9. Omega_Shadow

FAILURE....

I copyied the drive using CloneMaxx and Expanded/Made two more partitions on the drive. When I attempted startup using that drive in the Acer I got a "No Operating System Present" Error. After repeated start ups it DOES go to windows but half way through boot it will give me a few BSOD's (havent seen those in a while) and I will have to shut the computer off

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did the drive boot up before you did anything with the partitions?

The best idea would probably have been to clone the drive, boot it up, partition from XP, and then use PM to expand your system drive into one of the partitions. But there are a lot of other paths you could have taken.

So, what exactly did you do? You cloned the drive, and then booted up, installed Partition Magic, and repartitioned?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to try Acronis here is a link. I have never had a problem cloning disks with this. It will even give you the option to expand partitions or keep the same size. I like to use the program to make a bootable cd and then run the program from the bootable cd.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's what I ended up doing, too. Once I realized that I could make an image of my first drive onto the NTFS second drive with the bootable CD without even having Acronis installed, I removed the installation. The only thing lost was the scheduling of automatic backups.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have the bootable cds for disk editor and true image. They are the most useful of tools. Hopefully he will use the link and download true image; should not have any problems cloning the disk.

14. Omega_Shadow

Exactly what I did: Used the CloneMaxx CD to boot my computer/start the program. Copyed the drive. Booted to Windows XP on my Primary HD (NOT WIN95 on the Cloned Drives) Using PM I expanded the first partition to 1.99 Gigs which is the largest size for a FAT partition and created two more of the same size. I then took the drive out of my computer and placed it in the ACER.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's where you went wrong. The cloned drive should have been removed immediately after the cloning process. The new drive, as a clone of the old, has the same drive letter as the old. You can't boot up a machine with 2 identcal drives with the same drive letter attached. The minute you booted up with another drive, the operating system assigned a drive letter to the cloned drive (which was C: or whatever the original drive was immediately after the cloning was done) that was not the same as the drive you booted up to.

So the new drive was searching for C: and its drive letter had been changed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice