1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying access denied files in dos

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by silverhammermba, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverhammermba

silverhammermba Thread Starter

My Windows XP machine started acting up recently and now windows won't load at all. I have a lot of personal files on my hard drive that I really can't afford losing so I've been using the recovery console to try to copy those files over to my portable hard drive so that I can reformat and reinstall.

When I look at the directories it says that all of my old folders and files have a size of 0 and whenever I try to access any of them it gives me an "access denied" message. Unfortunately the recovery console doesn't have the CACLS command that changes file permissions and it doesn't have the XCOPY command that would allow me to copy everything over.

Does anyone know how I can copy my files over to my removable drive?

Or does anyone know why all of my files are showing up as being 0kb and why Windows will sit at the loading screen and never start?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

First question, did you encrypt any of the files?
    Second, connect the drive to another computer and copy the files off that way. Then, if you have to, you can change the permissions.

It's also possible that the drive physically failed.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice