1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying an old drive to a new

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmsnyc, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsnyc

jmsnyc Thread Starter

My hard drive crashed but I backed it up using macrium reflect free edition.

When I use the macrium cd rescue cd, it fails at 60% claiming corrupt file. I downloaded the latest version. I have given up on macrium however I can use macrium to mount the image as a drive in XP.

I have a version of Windows XP on the new drive and a separate partition big enough to restore my old drive.

I wish to restore the macrium image to the partition, then get rid of the other xp on that drive and make the restored partition the bootable system.

What is the best way to do this? Can I just use xcopy? Will it know to make it bootable or do I need to use software?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice