1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying and pasting in Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pileyrei, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pileyrei

pileyrei Thread Starter

Hello

An easy one I hope?!

If I copy some text from a source document (Word 2000) that has say Arial font size 10 and paste it into a new Word 2000 document that has Times New Roman size 12 as default, it inherits the new documents font and size ie Times New Roman size 12.

Surely it should keep the same font and size from the source document?

I tried it on one pc and it worked fine...........but not on another!
    Checked Tools>options but didnt see anything obvious!

Anyone?

Pileyrei

2. lora_3677

lora_3677

You could try using Paste Special and make sure you paste as a HTML format... but that is a pain... i can't find a setting, but this is what Word says about it.....

What formatting is applied when you copy text between documents?
    When you copy text between Word documents, the formatting that Word applies depends on the selection you copied.

If the selection Does not include a paragraph mark ()....
    Word copies The character style and any additional character formats applied to the selection.

If the selection Is a single paragraph mark.....
    Word copies The paragraph style and any additional paragraph formats applied to the paragraph.

If the selection Includes a paragraph mark ....
    Word copies The paragraph style and any additional paragraph formats applied to the paragraph, plus the character style and any additional character formats applied to the selection.

If the selection Includes a section break ....
    Word copies All the formatting for the section that precedes it, including margins, number of columns, line numbers, page size and orientation, and headers and footers.

Note When you copy text formatted with a specific paragraph style to a document that contains a style with the same name, the text will take on the formatting of the style in the destination document.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This was fixed in Word XP (2002) where you get to choose which formatting to use after pasting.

4. pileyrei

pileyrei Thread Starter

Thanks or the replies Lora and KiwiGuy.

A real pain that is!

I can't change to office XP....yet!

Thanks

Pileyrei

5. Erm

Erm

Just a guess...but is it anything to do with the option on the Tools, Options, Edit Tab menu where it says use smart cut and paste? Try selecting it/deselecting it and see what happens when you paste?! Good luck.

Sorry...just checked...don't think this will help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice