1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Copying "C" drive on my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by django47, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. django47

django47 Thread Starter

I really need some help with a previous issue which I thought was solved.
    What I want to do is to make a copy of my "C" hard drive on my Windows 8.1 laptop (the one I'm now using), in case it should die on me. Over the years I have built up quite a lot of important documents and images, I would be devastated if I lost it all.
    I have been online to find how to do it but to be quite honest, I am totally confused. One says one thing, while another says something different. When I thought I'd cracked it, something didn't go right. I gave up listening to bad advice and have come to Tech Support Guy to ask, please! "How do I go about making a copy to an external hard drive of my "C" drive, and what size would I need to buy"

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Macrium Reflect 7 (free edition is fine) supports backup to local, network and USB drives. Simply set it to backup your C: drive to your external drive and that's it. Everything will be securely saved in an easily recovered backup file on your external drive.

As far as what size external drive you need, you'll need one at least the same size as the used space on your C: drive. To see how much is being used, press [Winkey][E] to load Windows explorer, then right-click the C: drive and select Properties. Doing so will show you the Total Capacity, as well as Used and Free Space on that drive. Recommend getting something quite a bit larger though, so you can store at least several backups ... plus whatever else you might want to put on it. Might want to consider something like the little, portable WD 4TB (TeraByte / 4,000 GB) USB 3.0 for $99. They work great.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I may add a note to SpywareDr's post ...

Macrium Reflect Free (which I use and have used for years) has an option that I've circled in my attachment. I advise you to use that option, as the partition that Windows calls the "C: Drive" is probably not everything you want. It's certainly not everything you need if you have the pre-installed Windows 8/8.1 on a GPT disk. Also, you will be prompted to make a bootable rescue disk and that is a requirement if and when your system or hard drive fails.

Capture.PNG

SpywareDr likes this.
  4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Correct. Thanks TerryNet.

5. django47

django47 Thread Starter

What happened to my reply, I clicked on Post Reply button and something popped up and said I must be logged in to post reply, I had already logged in before I could access my post and subsequent replies. Where is it, so it can be retrieved and posted in the correct place.

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Ummm... How about a stray photon zipping from the Sun out to another galaxy went right though the TechGuy server and flipped the single bit that said you were logged in to not being logged in?

It could happen. ;) :)

7. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Wow! I never thought of that. lol
    I am confused over data contradiction.
    My "C" drive is now, 231 gb free of 279 gb so that means I only used 48 gb in about 4-5 years. But on my "this pc" page it says "installed memory (ram) 6.00 gb, (5.89 gb usable).
    So I bought a 7gb flash drive because logically it must be plenty sufficient, until I was advised 1/2 TB, but as there are 1024 gb to 1 TB.
    It was these contradicting numbers that confused me when I googled, "How to........"

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

A drive is not the same thing as memory.

In most computers there is space to store the operating system files and your files which is usually on a hard drive. There is also RAM (random access memory) that the computer uses to think with. It's done this way because RAM is one heck of lot faster than hard drives. The problem with RAM though is when it loses power, everything that was in it is instantly lost forever.

When you load a program, the computer loads what it needs from the drive into RAM so that it can operate on it faster than if were constantly having to access the drive. And since the file you are working on is also loaded up into RAM, if you've made any changes to the file you'll need to save it back to the drive so you don't risk losing your changes.

Make a bit more sense now? (I hope?)

9. django47

django47 Thread Starter

Thank you very much for explaining about how a computer works regarding memory (RAM) and how it's used. I think I understand it now. I remember a time when we used this stuff made out of trees, oh yea! paper, and of course a pen for which mere mortals such as myself were not expected to know how a biro worked, only that it did. The only people who typed were highly skilled because they did a Pitmans course. Progress!!! lol.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice