1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying C: drive to USB external HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimtalbert, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimtalbert

Jimtalbert Thread Starter

I have a related problem and a question.
    Problem: My PC won't boot if I have one of my external USB 2.0 hard drives powered up. Is there a way to modify my BIOS to correct this?
    Question: My external drives came with Retrospect Express backup software which I am using to back up my C: and F: (data) drives. If I have to use this backup copy of C: to restore it, will the PC boot afterward or do I need to use Acronis or Ghost to do a full system backup for restoring?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have split your thread out, since we frown on thread hijacking. :)

I'd start by checking the BIOS boot options, make sure the USB channel is below the hard disk in the boot sequence.

As for Retrospective, I have no idea of it's capabilities, but from the web page it sure doesn't look clear that it would allow you to restore a bootable system from a total crash. I'm sure that True Image or GHOST will...

3. Jimtalbert

John, I apologize for my error. I have never heard the term threat hijacking but can see where my entry into the thread might be construed as that. Let me assure you there was no intent to do so. I thought it would be better for the forum to continue with this thought since someone else had aluded to it. But I'll always start new threads in the future to avoid problems.
    I would have responded sooner but didn't get the usual e-mail indicating that someone had responded to my post. I just looked back and discovered you had.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No problem, we cut folks a break and don't shoot them the first time they hijack a thread. :D

Did you ever figure out of Retrospective will actually create a bootable disk from a backup?

5. Jimtalbert

John, I think it will because it lets me create a "disaster recovery" CD to go along with the backup. I don't know how to find out whether it works or not without creating my on personal disaster. So I either trust it or make an additional backup using a different software package. I have both Ghost and BackUp MyPC so that may be the wise thing to do.
    Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/356330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice