1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copying cd's to hard drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by pcpuurser, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcpuurser

pcpuurser Thread Starter

i'm trying to organize my music library and put it on my hard drive. I can copy from one cd to another but i can't copy a cd to my hard drive.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You don't copy the entire CD as is. You need to *rip* them, coverting your music tracks to files onto the computer. Windows Media Player, iTunes and a bunch more cd players will do the coversion.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most folks compress them into something like MP3's, since uncompressed audio CD's will quickly fill up even a large hard disk. :) Personally, I use CDex for my audio disk ripping chores, there are lots of other free choices as well.

4. dugq

dugq

I use EAC for ripping CDs to my hard-drive. This , is a pretty good guide although if you want to don't want to use lossy compression you could compress in Flac. For perfect copies of the CD you will need to set the offset, make sure you test for gaps by pressing F4 before ripping and have "append gaps to previous track" ticked in the Action menu. Also if you want to burn back to CD at some point, create a Cue sheet, I use the multiple WAVs with gaps (noncompliant) option which can be used with EAC to burn a perfect copy

5. msiz

msiz

Im a bit of a novice at this whole thing! I have downloaded both EAC and CDex ...... can anyone please tell me the process for copying my CDs to my hard drive with either of these tools? Im sorry but as I said Im a bit of a novice at all this! :p

Cheers
    msiz :eek:

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Honestly, just use Windows Media Player (9 or higher) or iTunes. If you are connected to the net, those programs will get the information of your CDs (if they are original). They have their own ripping tools.

But if my memory serves me correctly, in CDEx, you highlight what songs you want and press the button with the CD icon > MP3 picture.

7. dugq

dugq

8. msiz

msiz

Brilliant thanks, I have now managed to copy my CDs to my hard drive using EAC (y)

Next problem! I am now trying to convert them to MP3s but they all appear to have saved as Nero Media files. How can I change this?

Thanks
    :eek:

9. dugq

dugq

Download dbpoweramp converter

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

On opening dbpoweramp it will ask which files you want to convert, select the files, select MP3, and select the bit rate.

By that way, if you ever rip any more CDs, you can do the ripping and compressing all in one go with EAC. This guide, from "Controlling or setting the LAME MP3 encoder options" onwards will explain how

10. msiz

msiz

I used the dbpoweramp but it still says my files are Nero files :confused:

Also I cant find the section in EAC about ripping and converting at the same time!

sorry I think Im having a "blonde" day :p

11. dugq

dugq

Its okay, we all have those kind of days:)

Windows is telling you that they are Nero Media Files because audio files are associated with Nero, all my audio files, no matter what format, are shown as Foobar files (foobar is my audio player)

If you right click on the file, go to properties, it will show you the file extension in the file name (the last three letters after the dot). If it doesnt, in my computer go to tools, folder options, view, and untick "hide extensions to known file types"
    EAC will rip them as .wav files, which is full-size uncompressed, after using dbpoweramp, the file extension should become .mp3

To setup EAC to compress at the same time as ripping, go here and download Lame

http://mitiok.cjb.net/

Download Lame3.96.1, and extract the contents into a folder

Open EAC, go to EAC, then Compression Options, then in the External Compression window, tick "use external program for compression"

Under "Parameter passing scheme" select "User Defined Encoder"

Under "Use File Extension" type in ".mp3"

Then under "Program, including path, used for compression" click Browse and locate the folder you unzipped the Lame download to. Locate "lame.exe" and open it

The "Additional command line options" is very much up to you, since this will determine the size/quality of the files, and what tagging you use. This one adds id3v1 and id3v2 tags and uses the alt preset standard (around 192kbps) and the standard for LAME MP3. The tags depend upon what hardware you use to play the files, but this one is the safest bet (you can just copy and paste it)

--alt-preset standard --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d.

Have a look here for other options and explanation of the different presets

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28124

The "bit-rate" setting in EAC doesnt do anything so you can just leave it.

Uncheck add idv3 tags

Checking "delete WAV after compression" is up to you, this will delete the original files EAC ripped after the compression has finished. It may be best to leave this unchecked and delete the WAVS manually until you are happy that everything is correct, then check it. Everything else, leave as it is.

Then when you rip press Shift + F6 and select the folder to extract to.

The setup is a bit of a hassle, but once its done its saves a lot of time (especially if you have a lot of CDs to do). I'm in the middle of ripping 700 CDs and compressing to two different formats, so getting EAC to do it automatically was a life saver.

12. msiz

msiz

brilliant - got it working! thanks :)

one last question .... how do I burn to CD so it recognises each album?

:p

13. dugq

dugq

Glad its working (y)

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by the burn to CD thing (although the smiley makes me think its a joke thats gone over my head, which happens a lot)

14. msiz

msiz

sorry wasn't a joke! Didnt explain myself very well! Probably wont this time either but will give it a go!

Ive seen MP3s (in cars) being played which show on the screen the artist at the start of each album and you can skip through albums and then through individual album tracks. Hope that makes some kind of sense! :eek:

15. dugq

dugq

Ah gotcha.

That would be done through the tags I mentioned a couple of posts ago. As long as you set up EAC the way I mentioned above and EAC managed to get the tracknames, and artist before ripping, then you shouldn't need to do anything extra, just burn the CD.

Although you will need a cd player which supports tags.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!