Copying CDs to MP3

LJFried

The Old Luddite is back again! Is there a simple way to copy music from a CD to an MP3 player or is special software needed? Can a radio broadcast be copied to an MP3 while it is on the air, like a concert for example? Thank you for both answers.

LJFried

thank you but there is no "affected PC." Perhaps you misunderstood my post. Thank you anyway.

texasbullet

Ramon
Just insert your CD into your computer and open it and copy/paste music into your computer.

I am not sure Ramon's suggestion will work. I never tried it.
2 great free programs:

1- Download freac ( https://www.freac.org/ ). Click the link under download on right. After you install it, you can change default Settings. (bit rate, info regarding tracks. etc.) Not hard at all. The software finds the correct info (track names, album name, performer's name) if you are connected to Internet. It rips CD's fast assuming they don't have deep scratches.

2- Download Audacity, ( https://www.audacityteam.org/ ). It first seems to be too complicated. You get used to it. You can also tweak settings. It records what comes out of computer speakers. ("What you hear" under pc audio settings.) You can record the entire broadcast as one file. Be aware. When you stop recording, it is going to be one huge file. When you save it, make sure you save it as an mp3 file with the bit rate of your choice.

plodr

Liz
I chose to "rip" my CDs only selecting the songs I wanted.
https://fixthephoto.com/best-free-cd-ripper.html
I've used an old version of #4 on this list. Note: it was on a computer running Windows 2000.

I also used WMP on an old XP computer to see how it was done when I was assisting someone.

I don't believe I've done it on anything above XP.

LJFried

you've all been very kind but maybe I didn't explain myself properly - I am VERY low tech, as you can probably guess. I don't want to rip CDs or copy CDs into my computer. I want to know how to "copy" tracks from CDs I own to a portable MP3 player which I can travel with. Thank you again for your kind help.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
An Audio CD does not really contain a mp3 file, It's something else.
To 'Rip a CD' means to extract the mp3 files from the CD.
A CD can be ripped with windows but for simplicity ... I use Fairstars CD ripper.
Once the mp3s have been ripped from the CD and in your Computer, you can copy them anywhere.

Ok LJFried; you have physical CDs that hold music. And an MP3 player. In order to copy tracks from cds into your MP3 player you have to use a computer and create files that the player will recognize and play. Just like Jay says, you can not simply drag these tracks from a cd to your player.
can you tell us what kind of computer and MP3 player you have? With some portable MP3 players that offer radio reception you can record directly from a radio station. But, the sound quality may not satisfy you.

don’t let lack of knowledge scare you. It is not difficult to accomplish this. Everybody here had to start at some point.

LJFried

u r very kind Stephank - you know the old saying: "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." That's the way I am with technology though I've been using computers since 1986.

Gr3iz, I do have the VLC program - will try that, too

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've only made a few CDs ... and never used a mp3 Player .... But if your copying several CDs,
You may have trouble Organizing the mp3s into the order you want to play them in the mp3 player.
I use Mp3tag where I can edit the track #, song title ... etc ...
This solves the Organizing problem on a Disc and hopefully Player

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Download Audacity, ( https://www.audacityteam.org/ ). It first seems to be too complicated. You get used to it. You can also tweak settings. It records what comes out of computer speakers. ("What you hear" under pc audio settings.) You can record the entire broadcast as one file. Be aware. When you stop recording, it is going to be one huge file. When you save it, make sure you save it as an mp3 file with the bit rate of your choice.
Ditto on Audacity ... it will record anything your computer is playing and has a HUGE assortment of tools.
When learning, remember it only works on the portion of the Audio that is selected.
FYI ... I've used it to repair and digitize a physically Broken record, that was taped together, back to as good new.
If your reception is bad and you can find a selection of just noise, you can have it remove the noise from the entire selection .... including pops

Regarding mp3tag software, I agree it is a little gem. most ripping cd software use the same site called CDDB. (Compact disk database). once in a blue moon an obscure cd (mostly purchased overseas with foreign titles) won't have any info. Then, I manually enter track/performer/album names.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online