1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

copying contacts & email messages

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by asharif, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asharif

asharif Thread Starter

I need help in copying my contacts and email messages from my old laptop (Window 98, Outlook 2000) to my new laptop (XP Professional, Outlook Express 6).

At this stage i can boot up the old laptop, but it shuts down within a minute or two, how can i get my information off the old computer.

Could someone also give me step by step istructions on how to backup emails in a word document other than copying and pasting each email.

Thanks

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi asharif

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Outlook 2000 uses a .pst file.

Do a Search for .pst and copy the .pst file to your new laptop.
    You might check the C:\Windows directory first for your .pst file.

Outlook 2000 will also need to be installed on the new laptop to Import the information over to Outlook Express.

Once you copy over the .pst file to the new laptop, verify the .pst file is not marked Read-only, then open it with Outlook 2000.

Start Outlook Express,
    File > Import Messages > Microsoft Outlook

Let us know if that works for you or not.

Do you have emails in a word document presently?
    Or are you wanting to create word documents?

3. Surreal2

Surreal2

XP comes with a transfer utility to move settings from a previous machine. I used it to transfer IE and Outlook settings/data from a Win98SE PC to an XP Pro laptop and it worked well (I created the resulting file on the destination laptop through network link, rather than tranfer the file via CD or whatever. But you do need Outlook on the other machine to open the files, as EAFielder said.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice