1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying Contacts

Discussion in 'Windows Mobile Devices' started by Tabvla, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

My wife asks me if I can help a friend of hers to copy the Contacts from her phone to her PC. No problem, says I, thinking that this is about a 5 minute task.

So here are the components of her friend's setup: -

Phone : HTC with Windows Mobile and MS Mobile Office
    Computer : PC with W8.1 and Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC)

Contacts : These are not saved to the SIM but are saved to the phone as Outlook Contacts.

1. I connect the phone to the PC via USB
    2. WMDC starts and tells me that I am "Connected"
    3. I go to File Explorer and there is Susan's Smartphone
    4. From within File Explorer I click on Susan's Smartphone and it opens

I can now access, from the PC, everything on Susan's phone. Well everything that is EXCEPT the Contacts.

I would be really grateful if someone could tell me where Susan's Contacts are hiding..... :confused:

Thanks in advance.

T.

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

I haven't used Windows Phone, but I would think it would use a Windows Live account which would have all the contacts synced. That's not the case?

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are correct. If the User has a Windows Live (e.g. Outlook.com) account and they want to keep data current on all their devices then they can sync using Bluetooth or a hard-connection such as USB.

However, this case is a little different. The User has MS Office on their PC and MS Office Mobile on their Windows Mobile phone. The Contacts on the phone are for all intents no different to the Contacts that one may have if you were to use MS Outlook as a local email client (remember the days before Webmail).

MS Outlook data has always been stored in a .pst file.

If one was transferring a User's MS Office data from computer A to computer B, the process typically was to simply move the .pst file to the new computer following a little procedure.

My expectation (which seems to have been overly-optimistic) was that when I had connected Susan's phone to her computer that I would be able to use File Explorer to locate the .pst file and then following the little procedure copy that file to the PC and Susan would then have her phone Contacts in Outlook on her PC.

But I cannot physically see the .pst file on the phone when I view the files on the phone through File Explorer on the PC.

I am missing something here and I am not sure what.....:confused:

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice