Copying contents from one hard drive to another

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maglook

I have 2 hard drives. One is installed and the other is my old drive and still has a lot of information on it that I would like to copy to my existing drive. How do I connect the old drive to my computer and transfer the selected files to my existing one? I have done it before but cannot remember how I did it. Please someone help me. Both drives have Windows xp installed on them

Set the jumper on the old drive to slave,
connect it to one of your ribbon cables that already has a master drive on it,
connect the power supply and boot.
The system should see the drive as a second drive. You can then copy the files and remove it or just leave it in for extra storage.

SeeYa

If you right click the start button and choose explore, does the drive show up?

Maglook

ok, it is hooked up and it is in the bios. my monitor came unplugged. thank goodness. lol
As for seeing it under explorer, no, it is not there.

Try right clicking on my computer, choose manage, choose device manager, in the right pane, right click on disk drives and choose scan for hardware change.
See if it shows up then.

Let us know

Maglook

I did that and under disk drives, I see the other drive but still not seeing it in explorer or my computer.

Go thhrough the same process then try right clicking on the drive itself and scan for changes.

Maglook

nope, still cant see it. are we missing something in the bios? it says that it is working properly too.

I do not believe this is a bios or hardware problem. It has something to do with XP.

are both drives fat32 or ntfs?
i think if your new drive is fat32 then it might not read the old one if its ntfs.

Maglook

the existing drive is ntfs. I am not sure what the other one is. how do I check? under disk management, it also says the drive I cant see is unallocated. what does that mean?

Excellent point colmaca, XP can be installed with either file system but FAT32 cannot read the ntsf drive where ntsf can read both. Did you install XP on the new drive using FAT32 as the file format?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online