1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying files accross network really slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ajrobson, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I am trying to copy a large file from upstairs to my pc downstairs accross the wireless network. The file is almost 7GB. I am on vista and the pc upstairs is on xp, a few days ago I copied the file upstairs to another xp machine upstairs and it only took around 45 min.

Copying it to the vista machine is taking ages its only copying at 312KB/ sec. I read another thread on this and have tried this two options

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
    untick Remote differential Compression.

but they did not seem to speed it up, I turned off my windows firewall in vista and that made it speed up a little bit but nothing much.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I left my pc on over night to copy the file but when I woke up there was a message saying it was having trouble accessing the file and gave me the option to try again, this just started the copy from the start!

Attached is a screenshot of the networking tab in task manager, if anyone can help me I will be really greatful because at the moment it's going to take 4h 15min while xp to xp took 45.

Attached Files:

2. Megabite

Megabite

Any reason you cannot burn it to disk or just put the drive that has it on that PC as slave and copy it

3. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

I don't have any dual layer disks to burn the file to. Do you mean take the hd out upstairs and put it in mine? I don't think my brother would let me, and I think his hd are sata not sure if I can use them.

4. Megabite

Megabite

You could take your HD out and put it on his as Slave (SL) and copy it across....if you have more than one HD just use the one without the Operating System on it. Failing that get a 10GB USB flash drive....plug it into his USB and copy and your done.

5. ajrobson

ajrobson Thread Starter

Can't really swap hd, bro hd are SLI together and with all the messing about it would be easier to wait the 3h 9 min remaining, anyone one know why its really fast from xp to xp but super slow on xp to vista?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!