1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying files from old computer to new computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Scoper50, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scoper50

Scoper50 Thread Starter

My parents bought a new computer today. My mom called me up today and asked me if I could help her transfer some stuff from the old computer to the new computer. I'm not computer illiterate, but compared to you guys, I'm an idiot. I do not have a flash drive or an external hard drive, or jump drive.etc.... So I was hoping I could just connect the two computers with an ethernet cable, and create a network. Is this possible, or do you need additional equipment. I do not have a router, so if I create a network it has to be done with wires.

So is it possible to create a network with nothing but an ethernet cable? Or is there another way I can get my moms i tunes trasferred over?

2. dohnutman

dohnutman

Connecting two computers directly via an ethernet cable won't work, you would need a crossover cable. However, it can be done over a network, you just need to set up share permissions on the drive you wish to extract the files from. For that we would need to know your system info / specs.

Click here on how to share via network on xp

Another option, is to simply move the drive from the old comp and plug it into the new one, assuming it has the right cable. Again, we would need to know your system info / specs.

Another less elegant option, is to burn the data you want onto cd or dvd, and copying it, assuming of course you have a burner.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could easily create a network by plugging both into your router. There is no need for internet access.

4. vic2pc

vic2pc

Perhaps, but that can cause booting problems of its own. An alternative to this idea is to move the drive into the new PC but as a data drive only, and not as a boot drive. Then all the files will be available immediately, with no networking involved.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A regular (patch, straight) ethernet cable is fine for networking two computers if either has an auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) port. All gigabit ethernet is auto-sensing, and pretty much every new computer in the last three years or so has an auto-sensing port.

6. james1052

james1052

Use a regular network cable on each computer, directly wired to your home router. Then use FAST to transfer the files over the network. Make sure each computer has the same version of migwiz. (Let me know if I can help with that.)

7. Scoper50

Scoper50 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. Just to streamline things I ended up getting an external hard drive. Thought it would cause less aggravation

8. james1052

james1052

9. vic2pc

vic2pc

You said you've bought an external drive, but that doesn't explain how you got the files from the old drive to the new one. What did you do?

10. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Probably did this.
    Plugged the external drive into the old computer and copied the files.
    Then plugged the external drive into the new computer and copied the files from the old computer.

11. james1052

james1052

lol again

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice