1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying files over network

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wolfworx, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I have a small home network in which I often copy or move files from one computer to another.

Recently I noticed that there is a problem copying MPG and WMV files from other computers to one running Vista Home premium. I get the message: "You must have permission to perform this action".

Permission from whom? I am the administrator. There is no problem performing this action with TXT, DOC, JPG, EXE or any other file type. :confused: What is the problem with these video file types and how do I fix it?

My present work around is copying to a flash drive and using that copy to transfer MPG and WMV files to the Vista computer.

2. joeten

joeten

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its a permissions issue, the folder that has the media files in it has permissions restricted. Is it an XP PC?

"Make sure that you provided the Full-Control permissions of both Sharing and Security settings to "Everyone" for the Windows XP folders."

In XP go to the View tab of "folder options" and uncheck "use simple file sharing", now you will get the security tab when you do properties on a folder or file, here is where you make the changes to permissions. It is better to change permissions on a shared folder rather than specific files, this way any file you place in that shared folder will inherit those permissions.

4. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

It seems this problem stems from some oddity with the XP Home computer - the one that has the source files. Are you ready to be confused? :rolleyes:Well, here we go...

Let's call this computer "Cora". It runs XP Home SP 2 and has had strange security issues for some time. I have never been able to access files on this computer from the other two: Jillian (Vista Home Premium) and Marion (XP Professional) so I found a work around.

In command mode I got a "success" response with "net use x: \\cora". I executed this in Jillian and Marion. I can now access files in Cora as "Drive X" and copy, move and modify files. But it appears that media files MPG and WMV are the exceptions.

I wonder if XP Home has network issues that do not apply to XP Premium.

5. joeten

joeten

6. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have tried these trouble shooting methods before, but I just tried them again. Network troubleshooter has no further suggestions, Note that I can ping Cora successfully from the other computers and Cora can access copy, move and modify files on the other computers. But, if I try to access Cora from one of the other computers -- it does show up as a network computer - I get the following message:

Windows canot access \\Cora
    error code 0x80070005
    Access denied

Windows did not find any problem with this network connection.

And yes, Cora has been set to share and allow other network users to change files. So far. I have not gotten a solution from Microsoft on this problem. I continue to access Cora from the other computers as "Drive X" ("net use x: \\cora")

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!