1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying files over wireless network cripples internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by discofuel, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. discofuel

discofuel Thread Starter

Using Linksys WRT54G2.

When copying files between computers on the wireless network, the internet is completely crippled and unusable.

I'm assuming because the file transfer rate is too high. Is there a way to limit it on the router? Alternatively bandwidth limiting software I can install?

Thank you

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Are you talking about other computers on your network or the ones that are also involved in the file transfers? If you are talking about other computers not involved in the file transfers, are these wireless clients too?

3. discofuel

discofuel Thread Starter

Every computer on the network is affected in the same way. All the computers are connected via wireless.

4. zx10guy

You've confirmed my suspicions. Depending on the network traffic and how chatty the sessions are, you can get slow downs like this. Wireless works in a half duplex mode no matter if it is n, b, g, or a. When you do a what I presume as a Windows file copy, you are using CIFS which is extremely chatty. The easiest fix for this is to do your large file copies over a wired connection.

5. discofuel

discofuel Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately a wired connection isn't possible.

I've seen internet bandwidth limiting software - would this work for file transfer too?

6. zx10guy

You can try bandwidth limiting software. But I really think it's going to be a combination of issues here. One of them is bandwidth consumption. This is dependent on how large a transfer you are doing. The other is what I stated which is how chatty your wireless clients are on your wireless network. As I stated, all wireless schemes work on a half duplex principle. This means every client has to listen on the air waves to ensure it is clear to transmit. Because of the waiting and checking, this adds latency to the network comms. You don't have to have large bandwidth traffic in this scenario to cause a rapid slow down in your wireless network.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!