1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying Files PC to PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Steelpoke, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steelpoke

Steelpoke Thread Starter

I have a computer at home containing numerous files, including lots of music files, that I'd like to copy to my work laptop (both using Windows XP). I am not allowed to add any software to the work computer or change any configurations.

Is there a simple way to copy around 6GB of files to the laptop? I used the Windows help function and attempted to use a serial cable and the Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard, but the computers lost each other after about 45 minutes of activity.

2. top_gizmo

top_gizmo

If you have a home network you can just plug in and create a share and connect that way.

If you dont have a home network, but do have lan cards in both systems, you can get a cross over cable and connect them that way.

An alternative would be to get a $3.00 notebook to IDE adapter and slave the notebook drive to the home computer. You could get a external usb drive case and install the home computer drive in it and connect it to your laptop.

There are several solutions, but I think the easiest way is a home network or just a cross over cable.

3. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

The easiest way would be to connect the computers with Ethernet. Then mount the HD of one computer on the other.(map network drive). This could still take a very long time to copy.
    The other way is to install another HD, copy the files to the HD and then move the HD to the other computer and copy off the files.
    If the computers are both USB 2,0 equiped then a Peer to Peer connection can be made and the files copied.

4. Steelpoke

Steelpoke Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Let's say I get the crossover cable and connect the two computers. What happens next? Will the computers recognize each other? Forgive me, but I'm very much the beginner on stuff like this.

5. top_gizmo

top_gizmo

I both systems are on DHCP and connected via cross over, they automatically pick up an IP. Here is an article that will aid in ensuring that they do http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/Direct_CrossoverSC-_Windows_XP_To_Windows_XP.pdf After that, it is easiest to enable the guest account on your home computer and move the files into the all user document folder. It is shared so the other system can get to it. Then goto your laptop and map the share as a drive using the guest name and password. When you enter the user name it will be: computer name\Guest

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

NETWORKING:
    Detailed information on how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

Since there is nothing assigning an IP address with two computers directly connected with a crossover cable, I would not necessarily rely on DHCP. You may get the same IP scheme but it would be safe just to manually enter in an IP address and subnet mask for each one (e.g. 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0). You can forget about the gateway and DNS since you are only interested in transferring files between the two computers.

HARD DRIVE:
    It is typically difficult to install another hard drive in a laptop. But what you could to as an alternative to the networking is to copy the files to a USB drive, then copy them to the laptop. This might take a bit of time but it's not like you have to watch it.

7. Steelpoke

Steelpoke Thread Starter

Thanks again for the replies - I'll see what I can do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!