1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying files to a DVDRW or CDRW

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by retired96, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

I just bought a Windows XP Media Center pentium 4 computer from Dell. I am using Nero 6 as a burning program. When I try to put files on a DVD rw or CD rw disk which I've just erased so that it is clean, no problem. The Nero software says I have to burn it or the Windows CD burning wizard comes on if I just add the files without using Nero. In either case after I either burn the RW disk through Nero or Windows and then try to add another file to the RW it says I must erase the previous files (Nero) or the Disk is full (Windows Burning Wizard). What to do?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    to keep copying and draging files to the CD you need to use INCD I think it is in NERO -
    you can then format the CD and you can then use it like a floppy.

I would not use this method for anything important or as a backup.
    I make sure i have a full DVD or CD worth of data and then use the writer to write to the DVD/CD and finalise the CD/DVD so it can be used on any player - anything really important like photos etc - i make two copies

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You may wish to review Nero's help files on the topics of multisession discs or UDF discs.

A multisession disc allows you to record to a single disc using a standard ISO format multiple times. You need to make sure you have Nero's burning options to multisession when burning to the CD. You do not get as much total storages capacity as burning and finalizing a single large session.

A UDF formatted CD allows you to treat a CD-RW disc more as a Hard Drive where you can add and delete files as desired. I believe you do not get the space back when deleting files on a UDF formatted disc though. The UDF handling software just marks the file as no longer available. You need to erase the CD-RW to get all the space back.

--
    CW

4. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

If I erase the disc in Nero will it be a UDF formatted disc? I have erased several discs and Nero says it will erase the old files if I try to place new ones on it. If it is not UDC formatted is there someway that I can UDC format a cdrw or dvdrw?

thanks for your relpy

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe you need to format the CD-RW or DVD-RW within the Nero InCD application. According to the InCD PDF Help File, this can take from 20 to 40 minutes per CD-RW that has not been previously formatted with InCD. The InCD 4 user guide in PDF format can be downloaded as a zip file here:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/en/User_Guides_InCD_4.html

I can not get the "View it" button to work for me. It jumps to information on purchasing Nero 7.

The long formatting times for CD-RW and the availability of inexpensive blank CD-R media never made me want to install and use InCD. Much less bother for me to just burn a set of files to a multisession CD-R.

--
    CW

6. retired96

retired96 Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. I have resolved the problem by following your advice and using a multisession disc.

George

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice