1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying files to directory with same file names in it.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by craftee, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I've managed to get two directories with the same files in them but different versions, it's a total of over 300 files.

Some of the latest versions are in one directory but some of the latest versions are in the other.

If I try to copy the files from one to the other, windows will either overwrite or skip the files, not much help.

What I need to do is to only overwrite the file if the existing file is older.

I bet it's really simple, but I can't think how to do it. :eek:

Looking forward to hearing from you (please be gentle).

Regards,

Paul

2. huggie54

huggie54

3. craftee

craftee Thread Starter

Hi Huggie54,

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately I don't think it's related to my problem.

I'm simply copying files from one directory to another, I'm not using Backup and Restore.

Regards,

Paul

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It appears that xcopy may do the job for you. If I were doing it I'd create a couple small folders to test first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice