1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying Hard Drive with Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ACyanidePill, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ACyanidePill

ACyanidePill Thread Starter

I have a computer a friend helped me build, and the hard drive we installed is a Samsung 850 Evo SSD, which was meant for basic OS and was the primary boot drive. Now though, the drive is absolutely full, and I thought to upgrade. I bought a 1TB SSD, and after deleting some things, downloaded Macrium Reflect to copy one driver to another. However, it seems I cannot copy the contents of the primary boot drive while it's being used, but I have to use it in order to use my computer at all. How can I solve this? Thanks for your time!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have no free space on drive C, let Macrium create the backup on a portable USB drive / USB stick. Create the Macium Recovery Media. Then install the new SSD, and boot with the Recovery Media, insert the USB stick, and browse to the USB stick to find the Macrium backup file.

3. ACyanidePill

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate your time! the issue I run into is that every time I try to make a copy of my C drive, it tells me I cannot because the C drive is in use.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Start > Windows Administrative Tools > right click DIsk Cleanup - run as admin. Checkmark the things that you don't have to keep. And let it run. Then go back to Disk Cleanup again, More Options tab. And see what else you can remove.

5. ACyanidePill

I admit I'm a bit confused, how is freeing up space on the C drive going to help in this case? I know it needs the space don't get me wrong, but I'm just trying to copy the data onto a larger drive.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Sorry, I misread your message. You are saying that Macrium cannot do a backup of your C drive, it says hard drive is in use? That shouldn't happen. Did you specify that the backup also goes to the C drive ? You can't, you must use an external media

7. ACyanidePill

It's okay man, misreading happens. but yeah, that's why I'm here, I can't figure out why its' happening

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

You checkmark the C drive, thus saying you want to backup that drive. And then specify that the backup file will go to a different drive.

9. ACyanidePill

Yup, did that, I made sure all the partitions were in order. But when I start the cloning process, it stops a couple seconds in and says that it cannot copy the C: drive because it is in use.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

I can't help you more - I am using a old version of Macrium. It can only do backups, not cloning.

11. ACyanidePill

aren't backups and cloning the same thing?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice