1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying large amount of data to new USB drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by muckmail, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I bought a new toshiba portable drive from Best Buy this week. I would like to copy data from
    my older maxtor USB data drive to the new USB drive. There is about 80+ Gig of date that I
    want to copy to the new drive. I am using windows XP and I know the XP copy give
    to many errors when I copy large amount of data.
    So is there any public domain software that is best to copy my data without error. Is it best to copy
    my date directly from one USB drive to the new USB drive or should it be copied to a computer internal
    drive first then copied to my new USB drive? What is the best way to do this?
    Thank you,

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what errors are you getting ?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well you could use cmd line utilities like xcopy, robocopy or richcopy.
    As far as 3rd party I would look at using TeraCopy or XXcopy.

4. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Is it best to copy to a computer drive form the USB drive then copy to the new USB drive
    or can I connnect both USB drives to the computer and copy directly to the new USB drive.
    So which software program would be good to use?
    Thank you,

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It doesn't matter. Just copy the files. If you're getting errors, there's a problem. Using a 3rd party utility isn't going to resolve that.

6. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

So is the errors in the drive? I know with XP copy if the file name is too long it will not copy.
    I have used synback to make backup copies to a second drive install in a computer. I might
    use it?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

We keep asking you what the errors are. It would help if you could just tell us.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice