1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying many large files to USB HD, how to que up?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bonkboy, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonkboy

bonkboy Thread Starter

Say I have a ton of files on dvds and I want to get them all on my USB HD but each file takes like 10 minutes to copy over. Is there a program or way that I can que up a list of files from the DVD and have it copy over 1 file at a time to the USB HD? Thanks

happy hadookens!

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi bonkboy,

Welcome to TSG!

The easiest thing to do is write a script.

Let's assume that writing scripts is new or that you do not know how to write one.

Here is an example of a script (Note - since I don't know what OS you are running, this script may not work on your particular OS or any OS due to errors in the script, but it will give you an idea of how to do what you want as a first cut):

#! /bin/sh
    # name of script is: copyscript.sh
    todir=$1
    fromdir=$2
    filelist=`ls -1 $1 $fromdir`
    for i in $filelist
    cp $i $todir
    end
    exit

Note: $1 and $2 are the first and second parameters passed into the script from the command line.

You would first need to make the script executable:
    $ chmod +x copyscript.sh

Then you would need to invoke the script, as follows:
    $ ./copyscript.sh <todir> <fromdir>
    where you would replace todir without the brackets (<>) with the full pathname to the folder aka directory where the USB HD is mounted, and, similarly, replace fromdir without the brackets (<>) with the full pathname to the folder aka directory where the files to be copied are currently located.

You can start here to learn about Shell Scripting and go from there according to your system (Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix).

-- Tom

3. bonkboy

bonkboy Thread Starter

I am familiar with scripting for *nix but I am on windows. Also, there are certain files on the dvd that I need copied, not all of them. Thanks!

4. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

I've never found anything that would speed up file copying, other than faster hardware, so I just copy them all in a batch. Select the first one, shift+select the last one, and copy.

If they're scattered here & there in the DVD's file structure then I'll multi-task, using multiple copy processes. I know there's a trade-off with multiple simultaneous copy processes, so I generally limit that to about 4 at a time on my PC.

I do think it's good to learn scripting and this makes a wonderful learning project, but if you're not interested in learning scripting then what I've described will probably work as well as anything.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice