1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying Music From Window Media Player to a Zip Drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by donsor, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I have my music files in the Windows Media Player where I rip and burn CDs. However, I would like to copy some of the music files into a zip drive. I know how to transfer other files but have not done it with a CD. How can I do that? And, can I play the file straight from the zip drive? Or do I need load the Windows Media Player program in order to be able to work with the CDs?

2. renegade600

renegade600

you should be able to copy them over just like any other file. when you want to play them, all you have to do is to navigate to the zip drive from within the media player. you do not have to install anything special.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    As noted, the files that are stored for use by WMP, can simply be copied to the ZIP drive. Whether or not they will play, I'm not sure as the seek times and read speeds of a ZIP drive are not that fast.

Also, as you are still using a ZIP drive, you are using an old OS (likely XP). Not that it matters, but just as an FYI, ZIP drives are not supported on Vista/Win7 and newer OS's. So WHEN you ever upgrade the OS or have to replace the PC, all of the files on the ZIP discs will no longer be accessible. Plan accordingly.

4. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Oddball:

learning something new everyday. My zip drives were the ones I've had since XP. I now have Win7 in both my PCs. Do they sell Zip drives compatible with Win7? Also while at it, is there compatibility issues with hard drives and optical drives also as far as OS is concerned?

Thanks again

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    As for HDD's and optical drives, no, the only limitation is dictated by the motherboard supporting the drive type (ie: IDE or SATA). Most new motherboards no longer contain IDE controllers. As with ZIP drives, it would also be a non-issue for any HDD's as their size would be smallish anyway. Optical IDE drives would need to be replaced.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice