1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying *NEW* files over my network?!?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by nogills, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nogills

nogills Thread Starter

Hey guys, this has been bothering me for SO long, please help!!. Ok, so on my home network, I have my Vista laptop (which is the computer I'm on now, and mainly use) and an XP Desktop machine. I use my XP computer to download all of my music, so whenever I get new music, I want to transfer it to my laptop. On my laptop, I have a shortcut to my desktop's music folder, which is a shared folder, so I can easily transfer songs and what not. Here is my problem: Whenever I try to copy/transfer a NEW song from my desktop over to my laptop, an error comes up saying "You need permission to perform this action". The reason I bolded "new" is because the error only comes up when I try to copy a new song over to my laptop! If I copy a song older than around 2 weeks, it works perfectly, no errors or anything. Trust me, I have all the sharing options enabled and everything like that. The new songs are able to be shared and they aren't "read only". So whenever I get a new song and need to put it on my laptop, I always have to go on my desktop computer, copy and paste the song (make a duplicate) to another shared network folder, then go on my laptop and copy it from there, and that works. I have no idea why. So my question in a nutshell, why can I not transfer NEW songs from one computer to another, unless I make a duplicate of the file, over my home network?

[​IMG]

-Taylor

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Does this happen regardlees which direction you try this?
    On the Vista machine trying to copy from the XP machine to the Vista machine?
    Or on the XP machine trying to PUSH the file to the Vista machine?

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I have some complications to add and my only successful work around.

I got the same permissions error on the same drive (non-system data drive), same user created, same everything except timeline, when trying to move the older folder into the newer folder (but I have no idea if creation date mattered or not). I went into the security settings for each folder and set them to full control for everybody on all levels except special permissions was greyed (white-ed) out so I couldn't select that and apply it.

None of the other settings made any difference at all, couldn't move the same-level folder into the other one, but if I went in one level I could cut and paste the subfolders into the other folder, no problem.

So right now I suspect special permissions but what are the dependencies to make it work and what is keeping Vista from recognizing that its the same drive, same folder level and same user who created both folders with full administrative access?

Simple or difficult, I can't figure it out at the moment.

4. nogills

nogills Thread Starter

DaveA, it only happens when I try to copy files to the vista computer FROM the xp computer. and fairnooks, yeah I have all the permissions set right. I just dont understand why 99% of the files will copy over perfectly...its only the NEW files that give me a problem. =\

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What I have done is share the complete C drive on my Vista Laptop, and I can copy new and old file to it.
    I can even copy files to and from the User\Documents folder from my XP machine [smile]

I am using Vista Home Premium and XP Home Premium on the desktop.

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Pre or post SP1? I'm post and I just tried to share an entire non-system drive on Vista and all my XP machines see it fine but they do not get access. As soon as I share a folder on said same drive, XP is in no problem.

My first post also indicates that even though nogills (not even vestigular?) is having a wierd timestamp problem or something like that, I had the same exact problem, same drive, two equal value hierarchical folders, completely sans XP or any network protocol.

We both need Vista's permission, how, where, what, maybe why?

7. unbidden

unbidden

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I had already given full control not only to my username but to every other user and system level and alien within 6 parsecs and permission was still not given. When full control is checked it still doesn't include the special permissions checkbox though.

I've since incurred some other schizoid-like behaviour that may be related to my user account since I installed SP1 including my first hard crash with Vista simply logging out of the user account.

I'll try a new user account and see if that helps resolve issues.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696770

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice