1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying O/E email messages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bailiff, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bailiff

bailiff Thread Starter

I was looking to store MANY MANY received emails for future reference. I got them saved as .dbx files but cant seem to xfer them over(and open them up) to another media. I want to save them to a CD-R. Anyone......please suggest your ideas. I know others have had to do this before.

Tx,
    bailiff

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Can you be more specific?

The only way (i know of) to view outlook mails is to import them into your outlook account.

the mails are stored in:

c:\documents and settings\*whateveruseryouare*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\*some string of letters inside {} brackets*\Microsoft\Outlook Express

In there you will find inbox.dbx, outbox etx.

You can burn them onto a cd and then import them into outlook at a later date

3. sekirt

sekirt

4. Moby

Moby

If you want to do it without any extra software, you can do the following.
    Create a folder on your desktop, call it emails.
    Then open up outlook express. Once opened, minimise it a bit so you have the outlook express window open big enough to see the message headers, but small enough to see the folder on your desktop. You can then drag the messages, by the header/subject line into the folder. You can select multiple messages by selecting the first e-mail, then whilst holding down the shift key, select the last e-mail in the list. All in between will be selected. Then drag them to the folder on mass.
    For organisation, I've found it helps to create folders with the same name as your OE mail folders, within the desktop folder as you go, then drag the messages from and to folders with the same name. You can maintain the same folder name/structure that you are used to in OE.

When finished you can burn the folder to disc. The e-mails are saved as .eml files as above and open up individually by themselves on any computer with OE installed.

5. bailiff

bailiff Thread Starter

Thanks all......appreciate the info.

bailiff

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice