1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying One Hard Drive To Another

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by njhagan, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njhagan

njhagan Thread Starter

Hi, I am changing my office computer to a new one. I obviously have lots of info that I need to get from the old computer to the new one. Is there a simple procedure to transfer all across because I do not have some of the original discs.

I was wondering can you buy a special cable + software OR can you burn your hard drive to CD's using a special program for the job.

Would love to get some help with this,

Cheers,
    enjay.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you planning on making a "clone" of your old drive onto the new drive? This would put your old O/S and all the programs/files onto the new drive exactly as it is on the old computer - the only change would be the hardware in the computer. If thats the case there is lots of software to do this, most of it free from the manufacturer of the hard drive. The only thing you would need to is connect the old hard drive into the new computer in place of the CD-ROM, easiest because you don't have to change any jumpers and it offers the best speed, and use the utility to clone the drive - everything on the new drive would be overwritten.

The alternative is to connect the drive same as above but just copy the data, not program files, in Windows from one drive.

3. jackal969k

jackal969k

I have used Drive2Drive on several occasions with good success. The trial version is free for 30 days. If you are copying to a larger drive than the existing one, you will need the version that you have to pay for. In that case you could look around for totally free software to use.

You can take a look at the one I mentioned at:
    www.fssdev.com/products/free/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/227435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice