1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying OS to Additional Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wenpeek, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

Is it possible to just copy my operating system (Windows XP Professional SP2) over to an additional drive that has already been installed on my computer?

The reason I ask is because I don't have the original Windows XP Professional disk that was used to install my operating system. I bought my computer used and it was a rebuild. I don't know why he didn't install XP on the second drive when he installed it on the master. I have a Windows XP reinstall CD but of course the software key won't match what's currently installed.

I have 19.63 GB of free space on this other drive and I need to move some files over to free up some space on my master.

I don't know if you need any additional info about my computer so I'm just going to list what I have just in case.

Dell Computer
    Intel Pentium III
    Internet Explorer 7.0

Let me know if you need something I missed or have questions. Thanks as always for the help! :D

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't need Windows installed on both drives if you're just using the second one to store data.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

No it is not possble to copy your OS install from one drive to another.

It IS possble to clone drive1 to drive2, resize the image to fill the larger drive, then swap the drives so drive2 is once again the c: [drive1]

Do you understand why coping doesn't work?

4. wenpeek

wenpeek Thread Starter

So if I don't have an operating system on my second drive, will I still be able to create folders like My Documents/My Music?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The secondary drive just stores data. It doesn't need an operating system installed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice