1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying programs from old laptop to newer one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andipor, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andipor

andipor Thread Starter

Last week my laptop was hit with malware. It created quite a mess. I took it down to the computer geeks and they removed it and brought me back up and running. Problem is this: There is a program that was on there written in Foxbase which is now gone. However, I still have my older computer whose monitor died twice which still has the program on it. The older computer runs XP and the Newer one runs Windows 7. My hope was to plug in the old laptop hoping the newer one would recognize it as a removable hardware device which would allow me to read and then copy the program I need. I do have the programs uploaded off site which would have all the files that I need to run the program. If this is not a good way to go would another option be to create a directory which I could download everything to? I have never had to do this and I have been computing since 1986. thank you for any help you can give.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's thread.

Next you have to install the app; you cannot just copy a folder and expect it to work. This is for a number of reasons;
    1 When you install an app, it installs files to its own folder AND the windows and or windows/system32 folder
    2 When you install an app, some .dll type files are installed in other folders. The registry must have the correct path to point to those referenced files.

In short you need to install whatever app you want; not just copy the folder.

3. andipor

andipor Thread Starter

Thank you for helping me. I did not realize that I needed to start a new thread. I will be sure to do that in the future.

4. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Thank you crjdriver, you beat me to it and I could not find it for a while and you're right. I learned that one by mistake.

Crjdriver, just as a thought, would a easy windows transfer for the program and the data files be useful?

5. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Welcome to the TSG andipor!

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

7. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Cool, I will read it and retain the knowledge. Thank you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!