1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Copying Symlinks to a server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by OjoniaPok, Feb 5, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. OjoniaPok

OjoniaPok Thread Starter

I'm trying to copy Symlinks from Windows 10 to Nas...... the path to a network location (\\nas\folder)changed but still symlinks not copied correctly. file names and directories only copied, but the new symlinks don't point to the correct path and the files are blank give us ( 0 bytes) .

I tried Robocopying to a different Windows system on the network (\\pcs\folder) with the same result, so it's not Nas specific.

The command used (run as admin):
    robocopy "D:\MARK\CPAF\MOBI\MH\WEBBS\ " "\\nas\a\test " /s /sl

so how can I solve this problem?

TamAndro likes this.
  2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What are the quotes (") for?

3. SomaZack3

SomaZack3

Are you sure that they were created as symlinks and not junctions?

OjoniaPok likes this.
  4. OjoniaPok

OjoniaPok Thread Starter

Yes, Everything appears as symlinks. I have not used junctions in a while

5. SomaZack3

SomaZack3

try to open the target with windows explorer to see if you have full access to it first? That may be the issue?

OjoniaPok likes this.
  6. OjoniaPok

OjoniaPok Thread Starter

I think the problem is cross-platform compatibility of symlinks. I haven't resolved the issue but believe the solution lies in encapsulating the NTFS symlinks in .zip or similar before copying them across to the Nas to avoid windows error 4390. What's needed is some kind of script to identify symlinks, zip them and copy them over. also, I need a script to avoid long path names error if you can.

7. SomaZack3

SomaZack3

OjoniaPok likes this.
  8. OjoniaPok

OjoniaPok Thread Starter

SomaZack3
    -thanks for the first link, it works,
    -for the second link, it didn't work for pathname over 286 character length with me
    - for the 3rd link, I see that a program called gs richcopy360 is a solution for long path names problems, Is it reliable ? should I try?

9. SomaZack3

SomaZack3

I think it may be an issue in your system capability and check again with robocopy , and for gs richcopy360 enterprise, it 's a great solution for long path names problems and also it can copy symlinks from server to another without any problems.

OjoniaPok likes this.
  10. OjoniaPok

OjoniaPok Thread Starter

Amazing, gs richcopy360 Ent solved all copying problem that we faced (y)
    Nice recommendation SomaZack3 :)

11. TamAndro

TamAndro

Hi SomaZack3 ,
    I had a similar problem as robocopy can't copy symlinks but not solved till now, so we skipped this point to complete our migration process but I didn't know that there are tools that can solve this problem so this post is a good guide to try with tools mentioned in this topic and I hope you help me If I face any problem.

12. TamAndro

TamAndro

I did a full search for tools that can handle and copy symlinks and I found peersync, gsrichcopy 360 and securecopy, what is the difference? What is the helpful tool for my problem?

13. SomaZack3

SomaZack3

All can do the same job but I suggest the affordable one gs richcopy360 and if you have any problem just ask me, I have a good experience with the 3 programs .

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!