1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Copying the C system drive for drive hardware update.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Dec 5, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Is it possible to copy the C system drive to a second newer drive for hardware update.

If the new drive was first connected as a secondary drive to the computer then
    copy complete C drive to it. After that process is complete then I could
    replace the old copied C drive with the new drive.
    Is it possible to do that? If so is there some kind of software in need to ensure
    I have a complete copy?

The system I am using has windows 7 on it.

I would think this would be legal because it is just for updating my C drive
    with a newer drive hardware.

I would think that would be a lot easier than trying to reinstall windows and programs I all ready
    have on this machine.

Thank you,

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Yes, you can image the original disk to the replacement. I would recommend AOMEI Backupper, which has a freeware version, and can be used for both backups and imaging.

3. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If one of your drives is either a WD or a Seagate, you can download acronis true image from the respective site. I use and recommend acronis true image for all types of imaging/cloning/backup tasks.

5. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

So do you make a image file of the old drive first?
    Why not a direct file copy?

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Because there are partitions on the disk which you won't be able to copy via file copy, and these contain boot information.

7. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice