Copying the C system drive for drive hardware update.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

muckmail

Is it possible to copy the C system drive to a second newer drive for hardware update.

If the new drive was first connected as a secondary drive to the computer then
copy complete C drive to it. After that process is complete then I could
replace the old copied C drive with the new drive.
Is it possible to do that? If so is there some kind of software in need to ensure
I have a complete copy?

The system I am using has windows 7 on it.

I would think this would be legal because it is just for updating my C drive
with a newer drive hardware.

I would think that would be a lot easier than trying to reinstall windows and programs I all ready
have on this machine.

Thank you,

Yes, you can image the original disk to the replacement. I would recommend AOMEI Backupper, which has a freeware version, and can be used for both backups and imaging.

crjdriver

If one of your drives is either a WD or a Seagate, you can download acronis true image from the respective site. I use and recommend acronis true image for all types of imaging/cloning/backup tasks.

muckmail

So do you make a image file of the old drive first?
Why not a direct file copy?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online